Cutting Taylor dents Jaguars locker room

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Fred Taylor??? Here??? He can only be a feature back, so why would you replace White, our goal line back, with Taylor. Taylor could never bang in the redzone without getting hurt, which is why the Jags drafted MJD (their goal line back, now feature back). White is our biggest redzone threat (sad but true). It doesn't even make sense. He can't do what White does.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He cant run through an open hole for 2 yards? Sorry, but Lendale doesn't BANG it up the middle on the goal line.
    He doesn't break tackles. He usually just sneaks through a hole that our GREAT oline opens for him. Any back can do it. We just let him.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Exactly. Let's not factor in how much worse Taylor's O-line is compared to ours.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

White can move a pile. He did it several times this past season. I'm not saying Taylor is a bad back, he's just not a good goal line back. It's why he was oft injured early in his career and is what earned him the moniker "Fragile Fred". White is our goal line back. Maybe he's not the best goal line back in the league, but he's definitely good. With the limited redzone targets this team has, we need a player like White in the redzone. Fred Taylor is NOT a goal line back. Look at Taylor's career TD's. You think he ALWAYS played behind a banged up line??? Why would the Titans give up White's TD's for Taylor??? It makes no sense whatsoever. Just a bad fit for what our team does.

And you can believe Taylor will go where ever he can play. He's not going to sign to be third on the depth chart. I can see him becoming a Texan to team up with Slaton, though I view the Colts as a possibility as well. Both teams already have plenty of redzone targets, and both teams have room for another RB (Rhodes and Green are gone). The biggest hurdle for the Colts would be money, but Taylor may view them as his best chance to get a ring. He offered to take a pay cut with the Jags, but they said they wanted to get younger. I imagine he would want to stay in the AFCS.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm still waiting on that list of 33-year old NFL RBs who have gained 850 or more.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

As much as I disagree with him on Harvin, you're missing his point. If you run in a TD from the 1 yard line, it will skew your stats to have a lower YPC. So he's saying if you take out his short TD runs and his one long run, you can get an acurate picture of what he runs the majority of the time.

And btw, I don't know what you do for a living, but I'd love to be making his 'DIRT' money...along with 3/4 of America! Since when is $2.9mil with 1.3 in signing it chump change??? He has a cap hit of almost 900k. Dirt money....FUNNY!!!!!!

Gut

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:yes:

exactly

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

While that's true, to be accurate, you would have to apply the same method to Taylor. You take away White's goal line runs, and take away his longest run, he ends up 3.7 YPC. Likewise, you take away Taylor's longest run, he also ends up with 3.7 YPC. Again, they have the same average. What's the point here???

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

That's a bit of a loaded question. Most rb's have deteriorated to the point where the influx of new rb's have over-taken them. There is never a shortage of good backs entering the league each year...combined with the toll on rb bodies and few rb's even are in the league at 33...let alone have much of a starting role.

Fred Taylor probably would hit 800+ yards if given 200 carries next year. Kevin Faulk would probably break 1000 yds if he was ever given 200 carries...but he's basically a 3rd down back so that won't happen.

Point is...Fred Taylor can still play...and play well. He's old but can probably give you a good 150-200 carries. The 'upgrade over White would be in that he has many more big runs. The downside is that he's not a a pounder type of back. Of course, we could always draft a guy like that or use our FB.

I think White understands it's his turn to follow in AH's footsteps and bust his butt to come into his contract year in the greatest shape of his life and put up some BIG numbers. For that reason, I don't think we'll see him get traded unless they draft another RB early in the draft and trade White. It doesn't make sense to cut him and sign a Fred Taylor as it would cost us more for arguably less production or equal production...and given White will be playing for a contract, we can expect his stats to improve. Of course, there are also some good big backs in the mid-late portion of the draft too...but I dont think the Titans want to change the team too much considering our last season. Only way White goes is if they are super aggressive in free agency and need his to be cut/traded to save some cap room...but that is highly unlikely!

Gut

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

It's a wash.....LenDale is fat and lazy, can't break a tackle and excells at scoring 1yd Touchdowns...WOW!! PATHETIC. Fred is fragile, can't sustain an entire season of 20 carry games, and is 33 years old. Last time I checked, our feature back is Chris Johnson, nobody on this team is getting 10 carries besides CJ, and I'm pretty sure Fred Taylor can catch a ball thrown directly to him as well. I would rather have Fred Taylor in the game any day as opposed to LenDale White, Fred breaks many many more tackles than LenDale.

The Saints just cut Deuce McAllister too. That makes 3 RBs I would rather have than LenDale White; Fred Taylor, Deuce McAllister and Reuben Droughns. 2 years from any of those dudes would be much more productive than having to deal with Pillsbury doughboy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar