Cutting the Cord to Cable

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Ewker, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Bumpity bump.

So I did it. Today I officially "cut the cord", or rather the satellite (DirecTV). Not gonna lie, I'm nervous lol. But I think at the end of the day I made the right move. I was paying $140/month for a mid-tier package + 1 premium channel. And most of the stuff I care about can be viewed on Hulu, Netflix, etc. There are a handful of shows (e.g. Walking Dead, Archer) I will now have to pay for if I do not want to wait for them to get to Netflix. But even taking that into consideration I'm going to save a ton of money each month.

I'm hoping I'll be a bit more productive as well with less TV to distract me. But who knows, maybe I'll just end up wasting even more time here. :beerbang:

Of course my biggest concern with this move is how I am going to watch Titan games from now on. According to antennaweb.org I'm just too far outside of Nashville to pick up the local stations via antenna. So that leaves:
    - Watch online: I don't like the idea of chasing down a stream and having to deal with potential quality issues each and every week. But it may just have to do.
    - Go to a friend's house: This would be fine in a pinch. But I'd feel like a bum if I were going to someone's house every Sunday just to watch the game.
    - Go to a bar: I don't mind this. Problem is between the wife and I we'd likely end up spending $30-40 on beer/food every weekend just watching the game. Do that 4 times in a month and you'd have been better off just paying for cable.

Guess I'll just deal with it when the time comes. Probably will just end up doing a combination of all of the above.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

we still haven't cut the cable. It seems all of the shows we like are on FX or AMC. We have an HD antenna so we can watch the local stations. Unfortunately if I want to watch our favorite shows it will cost me money on Netflix or Amazon Prime :( It really sucks that you pay for Amazon Prime then you have to pay to watch certain shows...a$$holes

3. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

SawdustMan you are brave, I would lose my fricken mind without cable. Good luck to you in the struggle that is the rest of your life... cable-less.. :scared::eek:

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I haven't had any issues in two+ years

5. XO

XO Nevada Native

I pay $100 for cable(HD like 200 channels and HBO), DVR, Internet and phone.

If I canceled the cable my bill would still be like 65.00 so I'm okay with $35 for HD, DVR and HBO

I feel like it is alright.

I hate Hulu and canceled it. I rob my mom's Netflix.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Cool, good to hear. I wasn't basing my comment on any actual experience/evidence. I guess I just kind of assumed the quality would be a bit iffy given that the streams aren't exactly legitimate.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I mean.....occasionally they are a bit fuzzy. But it isn't like you can't make out numbers. Its worth saving $40 a month on, atleast.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah that definitely sounds alright. Who do you have your service with?

I never came across any kind of deal like that with any of the providers in my area. At least not without having to sign a long-term deal where the price significantly increases after the first year.

I agree there's a lot to dislike about Hulu. But given the price point I feel it's definitely worth having if you don't have a cable/satellite provider. I loathe the commercials (especially when they play the same 2 over and over and over again) and the PQ can sometimes be spotty. But for $8 or whatever a month I can deal.

Maybe I'll end up missing DirecTV. But most people I talk to who have "cut the cord" say it was a pretty easy adjustment and they don't even miss it now. Either way, I just wanted to give it a shot. The money was definitely a big factor in the decision but it was also about freeing up time for other projects and hobbies. With so many channels and so much content at your disposal it's easy to get distracted. I end up wasting a too much of my free time watching junk that I really don't care about when I could be doing more productive things.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Well if I do decide I want to have it back I'm sure I won't have a problem finding a company to take my money each month. :D

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. XO

XO Nevada Native

I got Charter at my apartment. They usually charge 50 for what I have but at my apartment you have an option of Charter, DISH and Direct TV.

I played them off each other and got free HBO for a year.

I also know my Charter rep. That helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar