Dave Ball over Tony Brown?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JEsports, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEsports

JEsports Practice Squad

Just curious of your opinion .. but why did we keep Ball over Downtown Tony Brown?

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Tony Brown had knee problems, and Dave Ball will be our starting DE Week 1.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Conversation finished.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

After the penalty-fest last year, I'm perfectly OK with seeing Brown and Babin gone.

5. JEsports

JEsports Practice Squad

I thought penalties may have been the primary reason .. and not necessarily the leg injury. He hadn't missed any injury time up until last season .. Ball appears to have missed more time in his career than Brown has.

Anyways, I was thinking more about this last Sat night at the game .. but just thought i would post to break away from the CJ talk for a minute.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Tony Brown was a liability, he had to be let go. He'd be involved in 9 plays a game, but 4 of them were the wrong way. Those roughing the passer penalties, and lining up in the neutral zone were so frustrating to watch. That also breaks your teams spirit, to stop a good team, then hand them a 1st down because you're not disciplined.

The bad knee just made it easier to cut him.

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Brown's knee problems are chronic and have reduced his ability as a player. It has nothing to do with which player has been more reliable.

Interesting all this hate for Ball after he had his best season ever as a pro last year.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Regardless, right now our TOP three DE's have injuries in Morgan, Jones, and Ford.The first two were supposed to be not only starters, but our best performers at the position as well, arguably even on the entire line.

at the time, i was very happy with the ford resign b/c he is actually a starter in my opinion in terms of talent and even production (he is always behind someone on the depth roster) - but b/c of injuries he gets every season is a role player with greater ability and one i like. the last pre-season game he was in, he was playing really well b4 he nicked himself as usual. (we got him for very cheap which is why i like the resign. i was hoping he was going to stay healthy due to the CBA drama and players claiming they 'feel healthier than ever.' now i wonder if this kid is every gonna realize his potential - i dont want him to be another teams 'Babin' either)

D-line is most important concern for us right now - BY FAR, especially since the CJ holdout is behind us. Granted Brown was not the best player, but i remember when Big Al left, he was really picking up the slack.

im not saying he is amazing, but right now, with our injuries, id try to resign him now and move a DT (Klug most probably) to DE for maybe the first couple of weeks.

but that would be more of a last resort type thing. i feel like there will be some interesting cuts made b4 the season, with at least one or even two good DEs cut due to cap problems. but our problem is that according to reported numbers (cap plus CJ deal), i feel like we won't be able to sign any good released starters. Guys, this is a huge concern right now.

i am not hating on Ball, infact i really like his game as well. When i stated that argument for Ford, i feel it can apply to Ball as well. If they had more time on the field and less time off/injured i feel they would be better. going into the season with ball as a starter is not too bad, but is not enough. last time i remember either or both Ford and Ball starting, they were younger, and playing for a bad titans team on a bad line. but when they play on a better team, they arnt too bad. i stream games so its hard for me to watch individual players on either O or D - Line but i try.

Realistically, we only have 1 DE who can play as we know in Ball, but our other guys are completely unproven - seem more like practice squad names rather than week 1 starters/players:

Julian Hartsell
    Hall Davis
    Pannel Egboh

i actually had to look up those names and i really have no idea who they are other than this preseason.

i think by week 1, we might have Jones back but still Ford's hammy will hinder him up till week 3...or even longer. we are in dyer need of depth.

9. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Because his knee is about to fall off

10. JEsports

JEsports Practice Squad

titan_fan_4ever - I have to agree with you. I was hoping Ball would show at least a little something last night. Not a single tackle or even assisted tackle. He was getting bulldozed around. Awful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar