Dave Razzano

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Playmaker, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

An interesting article on yahoo about the guy and his bold claims. Decided to check out his blog site and is actually a good place for some info not having to do with just the 1st round. Really impressed when he breaks down a prospect and I agree with him about Locker and Kaep,pretty convincing about some other guys too.

http://blog.playmakermobile.com/

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

I agree with him on Locker. I shouldn't like him... but I do.
    If we grab him at eight I might be able to live with it.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

"The negatives were overlooked due to having a “cannon” for an arm, the least important quality in a QB."

Well, lookie there... someone echoing what I've been saying all along.

4. 24

24 Starter

The least? There are anywhere from 16-20 types of throws that every QB should be able to throw, each depending on down, distance, and field position. If you don't have sufficient arm strength, there will be some throws that you won't be able to make. Defenses will take advantage of that. All the best QBs in the NFL can make most, or all, of these throws.

The media has over exaggerated arm strength to the point that contrarians like you feel like you have to disagree with it. You don't have to have the cannon arm, but making every throw is essential. And, I hate to say it, but players like Dalton, Stanzi, and McElroy will be very limited in their offenses. They will be exposed.

5. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

You make a good point but I disagree with Dalton I think his arm strength is very underrated. He will get stronger as well once he gets to the NFL improving his arm strength to some extent. Rodgers never had the arm strength in college he does now. I like Dalton and while he will never have a cannon I think he could be very good.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Not a bad blog.

7. Deuce Wayne

These throws you're talking about....

every one of these QBs can make them, or will be able to make them after a year in the NFL.

They don't need "cannons" to make every essential throw.

Tom Brady had a "weak" arm coming out of college. He seems to be ok at tossing it around now, huh? Too many other examples of it also.

8. 24

24 Starter

But, like I've said before, hoping that one of these QBs will develop significant arm strength later is optimistic. If that's what you think will happen with Stanzi, then by all means, draft him early. But, that would be quite the prediction if it came true.

9. Deuce Wayne

They all will gain significant arm strength. That's completely common.

Just like we knew CJ would put on 20 more lbs the moment he stepped in to a pro facility.

No different.

10. 24

24 Starter

Nope, that's where you're wrong. I've done lots of research on this, mainly out of pure curiosity. It's widely believed that arm strength reaches about 90% of its potential by the end of high school. In fact, there was an article in SI recently about throwing power in MLB pitchers. Many players plateau at around 22. The wear and tear of constantly playing negates any professional training program. By the time you're 28, you start to see decreases in power as the wear gets too much.

Not only that, there is the matter of the throwing motion itself. Throwing the ball comes from the release of elastic energy, not muscle contraction. That's why muscular QBs like Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn have average arms, whereas skinnier players like Flacco, Kaepernick, and Mallett have strong arms. How big your muscles are have nothing to do with it. Arm strength is largely due to your genetic makeup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar