David Givens...>what The Crap!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ammotroop, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackmann

zackmann Guest

we need givens to come in and catch 70% of the balls thrown his way the rest of the season...

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Calm down, it's only Givens' first season as a Titan, there's plenty of time to get a "relationship" with Young.

3. zackmann

zackmann Guest

young and his WR's/TE's better move in with each other over the offseason...

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

That's not the knid of "relationship" we want them to nurture :grrhee:

5. 4andershv

4andershv Camp Fodder

6. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

You missed the point entirely--I'm referring to the topic, which is essentially asking whether or not Givens can make a difference with the passing game, to which someone responded that it wouldn't matter much anyway b/c Vince isn't throwing that much. My response was that I disagreed b/c I think this is how the wr's ARE thinking right now, they're playing like a vet qb was in there and they were going to get a bunch of opportunities if a 30 yd pass is overthrown--when they should realize they better try everything they can to get to it b/c there WONT be a bunch more opportunities.

I'm saying that there won't be more than one or two passes down field until we complete those one or two passes down field. I was saying it's sortof a Catch-22.

I thought if there was a chance Givens could have this type of hunger or be a playmaker (which I have no idea about b/c I think his role in NE makes it difficult to judge this [like a Broncos RB]) that he COULD make a difference and help open up the offense.

Your response makes it seem as if I was saying that the wr's are stopping Vince from throwing for 400 yds. when I was doing the opposite. I love the way Vince is playing, but I was acknowledging that he still is a rookie qb--a qb who is playing beneath his eventual skill level and thus we as Titans fans need the wr's to be trying to play above their normal production to make up the difference and speed Vince's progression.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Even if we had Chad Johnson, I think Vince Young is not going to throw for more than 200. He appears to be like McNair, he'll throw for 50 yards, and somehow go 13-3. I think he's a good qb, an accurate passer, and all that, it just seems like he's a winner rather than a numbers guy. We are all going to have to be ok with that. Luckily, we have experienced this before.

I would like to have a great WR, and draft one, as long as he doesn't mind not getting big numbers, because it probably won't happen here. Givens is a number 2. Let's face it, but no Number 1 will ever get big nubers here. Only wins.

8. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

I'm not saying what Vince is or isn't, but there has to at least be some small chance that he could put up numbers as well. No passing stats has been a Vick thing (until the past two games)--the McNair's and McNabb's eventually developed into accomplished passers (McNair's thrown for over 3,000 yds 5 out of his 10 yrs)--and I'm of the opinion Vince is closer to the later two than the former.

Some reasons why it is at least feasible that Vince could put up numbers as well as win:
    1. The only D-I player to ever pass for 3,000 yds. and rush for 1,000. Nobody's even at 2,500--1,000.
    2. Rushed for at least 1,000 yds and 10 rushing td's every yr he played.
    3. McNabb's best season before being drafted: 2,488 yds, 20td's, 400 yds ru. 4td's. Vince: 3,036 yds, 26 td's, 1,050 yds ru 12 td's
    4. Vick's best before being drafted: 1,840 yds. 12td's 585 yd's ru 8 td's

So what I'm saying is it's okay to be optimistic that Vince could be the divide between Vick and the McNair's/McNabb's, and if he is ever to lean one way more than the other I think it'll be in the direction of the latter two.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Givens doesn't make #1 money...

His $2.5M a year is typical for #2 WRs. The number one guys get $5M and up..

He obviously has been a disapointment but the way to motivate him once he is healthy is to make him the #4 WR.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

#1 and #2 money...

Given's signed a deal for 5 years @ 12.5M.....$2.5M per

Derrick mason's deal a year earlier with the ravens was for 5 years and $20M...$4M per

Chad johnson's contract is for $35.5M for 6 years....$6M per

Marvin Harrison's deal is 10 years @ $67M or $9.5M per..

Terell owens makes $25M over 3 years...$8.33M per..

Reggie wayne's new contract is similar to chad johnson's..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar