Davis appears headed for a holdout (now signed).

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...davis-could-heading-toward-holdout/511169001/

I don't like that he'll holdout but honestly, I'm not a fan of offset language. If a team chooses to cut a player, it's the team's fault for drafting the guy in the first place. This is one of those situations in which a team is simply trying to leverage the contract because they are holding the money. If a team cuts a player before his contract is up, that is that team's choice. Just as it was the team's choice to draft him based off of their scouts information. Just because the player gets another team to employ him should have NO impact or bearing on the original's team to honor their contractual obligation to pay him.

You don't have to do business in that fashion to be successful. Offset language comes off to me as cheap. If you have to have a conditional contract, so be it. But if you're not comfortable with a prospect, don't draft him.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Why do we always have these problems? Oh yeah. CHEAP

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. RTH

RTH Meh...

Standard rookie contracts...

- 3 to 4 years
    - Good signing bonus
    - Good yearly salary
    - Signing bonus and salary based on round picked

KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid.

If rookie refuses to sign, that person won't play for anyone - unless drafting team allows him to "move on".

The NFLPA would never go for it, though. So... pipe dream.

4. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Who's the last player to hold out? Chris Johnson? Kendall Wright maybe?

It's not a problem until the player actually misses time.

5. Alex1939

I guess you don't follow the team closely but we have this problem almost every year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...ining-camp-holdout/1x38p7buwhitj1wa1wg7ot2om4

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/30/titans-lewan-likely-fighting-over-roster-bonuses/

I just want to know why we are the most incompetent when it comes to these rookie contracts. Most of the contract does itself but we want to argue over offset language because we are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I'm sorry, did Marcus Mariota hold out? Did Lewan?

I know you have trouble with selective reading, but it's literally two sentences. Go back and try again. I think you can manage.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Warmack held out didn't he?

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

:reaction::reaction::reaction:

9. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

I'm honestly wondering if JROB's regretting anything at all?

Also, that agency was really spinning the big draft pick selection number wheel selecting Corey Davis weren't they? He could have dropped around Adoree Jackson if some things went sep. ways in the draft --- and then they def wouldn't have the chips to hold onto.

10. Alex1939

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/28/holdouts-continue-for-three-top-10-picks/

You say only hold outs matter but that is BS. Team reputation matters around the league when it comes to players signing for that team. Our organization has a reputation for being CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and playing hardball over pointless portions of contracts. That effects free agency.

The only reason you don't care is because you aren't smart enough to understand the above.

So yes, it's a problem. Yes, these contract disputes happen almost every year. No, it IS a problem regardless of whether it hits into "hold out" territory or not. By the way, training camp starts Saturday so we have less than 48 hours to get Davis under contract if we want him to not "hold out".

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar