DB Cortland Finnegan?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by oilerstruck, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We need cornerbacks?

Looking at some of the comments collectively i disagree with many of you. Jeff asks where a DT would go i guess we could ask the same for his big corner pick. Hill and jones are our starting corners and have their whole careers ahead of them. Woolfolk has a chance to beat out hill and he is that big corner. Woolfolk's contract runs through 2007. Then there are wadell and gardner entering their third seasons. I would say that CB is tighter than DT.

Where would we get the idea that rein long's job is solid? He is not an every down player and his production went down last year. The guy plays the run like crap and after 3 seasons i think it is fair to say his upside is limited. I'm not saying we should dump the guy but i wouldn't have been shy at all drafting a second DT. Note that long's contract ends after this next season.

2. WOW.......

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think the point is would Wright be an upgrade over Clauss, Long or the UT guy? Obviously not so why waste the pick. Finnegan is a cheaper version of Pacman with great speed, a 44 inch vertical and he can return kicks and punts. Is he an upgrade over Gardner? Probally so. Good pick IMO.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans will only keep four DTs. Once Mahelona was picked, why draft another DT unless it's someone you plan on keep on the practice squad this year?

As for CB, you have a lot of uncertainty, IMO. Who knows what'll happen with Woolfolk? Maybe the light comes on and he becomes the player the Titans thought they were drafting. Gardner barely made the team last year. I think his days are numbered. Waddell might end up a quality CB but the jury is still out there. And you have Hill who hopefully is the real deal but we've seen many rookies show flashes only to decline their second season (sorry Gunny).

I just see it being a much bigger uncertainty than DT where the players rotate. It's a lot harder to find a quality CB than it is a DT.

None of the DTs play every down. That's why we never see the Titans pay big free agency money to keep them. And I disagree with Long's production. He's not setting the world on fire but he has improved against the run. Starks is the one who didn't look to have improved any on his rookie season. Also, you lose money if you cut Long right now which tells me he's going no where.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff.....soxcat...

I don't understand your logic. You say the lights might go on for woolfolk are you assuming they already have for long? Long's contract runs out in 2006 so we have to replace him anyway.

I'm sure jeff you wouldn't be assuming that 2 DTs selected late would be good enough to make the team? More than likely one would not. So you have three guys fighting for a roster spot(rookies and claus) and if both rookies show us something we could put one on the practice squad.

Who mentioned cutting long right now? Long will have to battle other DTs in camp just like every other year.

Soxcat, regarding wright this was a guy many considered first rd material a year ago. He is bigger and more athletic than claus and has far far more upside. Great blue north rating him the 7th best DT prospect and nfl draft countdown rated him 6th. What is the worst that would happen? He would come into camp and get cut.

6. Greenlawler

Greenlawler Gorman Thomas Fan Club

Amen Bro. Jeff

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

To get back to the thread topic, Finnegan's skill numbers are impressive. I see this pick as a "special teams" project with only the smallest chance he'll see DB playing time.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Two different positions. Two different skill levels required. Are you saying that a good CB is easier to find than a DT? We often take late-round DTs and plug them in and they are effective because of the system.

Not at all. But why take two DTs late when you have almost as good a shot of bringing in the same talent with the UFA rookies? The MTSU guy may be a good option here.

If Long is cut, you have dead money.

If a DT value had been there late, you may have seen another chosen. But you also run the risk of losing him on the practice squad.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

R Wright has an injury that was learned of late. That's why he dropped. Mahelona was excellent value for where we picked him. So glad we got him.

Finnegan LED his team in tackles. Kid's got upside. He's not afraid to support the run, and he has the speed to hang out in receiver's pockets. I foresee him as a project we're willing to let hang on for a little while if he continues to show improvement.

10. Nash

Nash Starter

Wright had a major rotator cuff injury, will require surgery and will sit out 06, and who knows if a DT can play with a bad shoulger...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar