DE- Could Kevin Carter be a solution?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I know, this is a little strange. But there have been rumors that Carter is going to be let go from Miami. IF we aren't going after another free agent, and aren't going to trade up for a DE, would he be worth a couple year contract? He's getting old, but his production hasn't really gone down. If we drafted a DE in the 2nd or 3rd to go along with him, I think it could work. I doubt Carter is going to get a major contract at his age.

Any outside thoughts? We need a DE somehow.

2. maximus

maximus Starter

I don't know. He didn't do that good here in TN. But it might work
    On passing downs
    KVB, Haynesworth, Carter(at DT) and a pass rushing rookie.
    Or
    KVB, Starks, Haynesworth, Carter (at DE)

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Fish loves KCarter. If he is indeed cut loose from Miami, expect to see him in Nashville the next day.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I never had a problem with Carter. In fact, I liked his leadership and pass-rushing ability. I miss his presence still. Do I think we should go after him? Depends on his price; he's no longer a first rate talent, but he'd be great to have moderately to low priced. He will probably demand more.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Hes ok, he was a Titan b4

6. GoTitans3801

I liked it from the leadership standpoint, but it definitely requires him recognizing that he isn't worth as much as he was when we cut him. I don't think it's very likely, but just something to mull over until stuff actually starts happening Friday.

7. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

I'd love to have KC back. KC brings Leadership, professionalism, and a decent amount of flexibility (DT or DE). We'd be thick against the run, that's for sure. He had some good years here, the only reason he was let go was cap, not production...PLUS he could help bring out the best in Albert

It'd be nice to have a classy, savvy vet back on the team instead of hemorrhaging them...

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Being a DE in the NFL requires much speed and swiftness in order for that player to reach and pester the QB on a regular basis.. Carter is almost 34 years old, and frankly I see him as being an average DE at best.

I agree that Carter will be valuable in the sense of providing much needed vet leadership to one of the youngest defenses in the league, nonetheless that should not serve as the reason for signing him.

I’d rather we spend our time and money elsewhere.

9. GoTitans3801

While he's certainly not a top tier DE anymore, he'd be a servicable upgrade and probably wouldn't be that expensive. The only way I see this scenario is if we're focuing our free agency efforts elsewhere. Also, it presumes we aren't picking one in round one. If we signed clements, picked a WR in round one, and signed KC and got a second round DE, I'd be pretty satisfied.

Look at Carter's numbers. They've been steady, no major signs of decline that I can see. If anyone has further evidence that he might not be good enough, please let me know, I'm not really sure how to evaluate him.

10. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I wouldn't mind signing him to a one or two year deal if he'll come relatively cheap, we've gotta spend our money somewhere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar