DE is still our #1 need.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

And no one can convince me otherwise.

On one end we have Derrick Morgan... who has lately become "solid", but solid isn't going to cause a QB to loft a ball up for grabs.

On the other end we have Kamerion Wimbley... Not bad, but nothing great.

Then the possibility of rushing our OLBs... which worked well. I'd rather actually have legit DEs on the line though.

Pressure from the DL is what causes turnovers. Our DBs may not be deep, but trust me- with a defensive line Verner, McCourtey, Pollard/Wilson, and even... yes, even Michael Griffin would look like Pro Bowlers. (again)

So, with that said here are DE's that I'm high on and DE's that I think are overrated.

DE's I love: (no specific order)

1. Quanterus Smith

For those of you high on Fluker? This guy made him look like a paper bag. He was the nation sack leader and there's no question that without the ACL injury that he'd be talked about with the best of them.

He's big. He's strong. He's fast. Watch his game videos. He's solid vs the run also. Take this guy in the 5th round and you're getting a better player than many DEs that'll be taken in the first 3 (once healthy).

2. Ziggy Ansah

I've seen many doubting him lately, and it's not warranted. The guy's instincts and natural ability alone should make him a 2nd round pick that'll likely pay off. He's 1st round bound, and rightfully so. Potential is through the roof, so I doubt we get a chance to draft him even if we do go DE.

Being a Michigan fan, I've never seen a DE chase Denard Robinson down and smash him like he was standing still. Made it look easy. *Note. Few players Ansah will be chasing or hitting in the NFL have the same quickness.

He's not near as "raw" as he's made out to be, either. He'll warrant double-teams in the NFL, and that's good for everyone. In the 4-3 he'll be a monster.

Pray he slips to us.

3. Datone Jones

The only reason I'm not going to focus on him much is because we need something different from what he offers. He's an amazing interior pass rusher. With the right team, he's going to be nasty to line up against.

4. John Simon

All effort, all the time. Has quite a few moves that allow him to be effective. I'd definitely take him in the 3rd if he's there. Even if he is a Suckeye.

Iffy:

Dion Jordan

He could very well be the next Aldon Smith. But I'm not sold. Maybe an OLB?

Alex Okafor

Great when standing and rushing- fairly weak, otherwise. Bad, bad, bad vs run. 3-4 suited. So torn on this one.

Tank Carradine

Another player I really want to like, but can't get behind. He gets handled too often at the line for my liking. He's extremely quick to read plays though- but unfortunately that does little for his own production. He'll probably be a solid player for someone, but not a game changer by any means.

Hell nos:

1. BJoern Werner

Does nothing for me. I don't understand the hype nor his ranking. Playing with such a great DL should make him look better, but when I watch game film of plays, he just doesn't do a whole lot that impresses me. Many times he stands around as if he's in coverage. Which would be ok... if he were.

2. Barkevious Mingo

He's fast. Annd... that's about it. He plays weak and should probably move to LB. Even with the speed he had in college, he didn't really have any idea how to use it to produce. Speed isn't worth drafting in the 1st. Plus, he's not a 4-3 end. Or shouldn't be.

I say he busts. But he does show some Kearse'esque moves at times.

3. Corey Lemonier

I want to like this kid just because his effort is definitely there, and he's got athleticism. But, he doesn't have the instincts. Gets taken out of the play pretty easily.

Stay away.

Steal -

Margus Hunt

Like Ansah, hasn't been playing football very long at all. He's raw, but to me he's a poor man's JJ Watt, but with height. If he can figure out how to play low, he'll be unstoppable.

Fast. Huge. I honestly think he took a lot of plays "easy". If he becomes more aggressive, I think he'll be far more successful in the NFL than he was in college.

He got handled by Joekkel, but that doesn't mean much. He's also good on STs. Blocked 17 kicks (record). So at the worst, you probably get a very solid contributer there.

I personally think he auditioned for the NFL during the Hawaii Bowl. I think he played it safe most the season til then to avoid injury (actually fairly common).

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I agree it is still our number one need, and have been saying so since the start of the season, we just have two things going against us.

1. Not a single one of those guys does enough to stand out. I am not one to say, 'we can't draft him here because he isn't projected that high'. If you think a guy is good, you take him where you know he will be. None of this guys make me think we need to take them in the first, even if we had pick 32.

2. Every single one of these guys have a serious knock against them and it is all deserved. This is even worse than last years class and all of those guys blended together also.

I want us to go Ogletree, WR and DE in 1,2, and 3 respectively. I know we are not going to grab Ogletree at 10, I think we will go G. I also think we could push back WR until the third because of all the depth. So I would not be against taking a DE that falls to the second, I think that whole group belongs there.

My realistic/ideal draft would be something like

1. Cooper/Ogletree
    2. Hunt/Carridine/Keenen Allen
    3. De'Rick Rogers/Keenen Allen/Montgomery
    3. One of the safeties that fall, like Rambo or another DE or even another WR.

I don't think we should even be talking corner this draft.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

With his off field issues I cannot see the Titans going with him so high :(

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm a big fan of Mingo's, would love to add him to the team. I like most of the DE's in this draft, so DE at 10 is cool by me.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I agree for the most part.

Unless Ansah or Jordan is there at #10, I would prefer to wait on a DE.

But my ideal plan would be DE in the 1st (or Lotulelei) and Warford (RG) in the 2nd.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Very slim chance Allen slips past the 1st. I would take Rogers in the 3rd in a heartbeat.

7. Carp

Carp Starter

Domontrae Moore is my favorite DE in this draft. Big, physical, and despite his combine numbers, he's fast off the edge. He could a monster in the NFL.

Tank Caradine is 2nd on my list. Love the upside he brings.

I would stay away from Ziggy Ansah. While he's a physical freak, he's also a project. I just don't think you can afford to take that sort of risk with a Top 10 pick.

Do not want Werner at all before the 2nd round, and that is only if Caradine, Trufant, Elam, and Cyprien are off the board.

8. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Yep. I agree 100%.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Our entire d-line is full of guys who are "solid." What we need is an elite guy at one of the four spots.

10. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Most years, I agree, but there is almost no to ten worthy talent in this draft. I would love to see us take ziggy. One of ziggy or milliner week fall to us... we should take whichever does. Or slide back as few spots and take rhodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar