Deadwood

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Puck, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

(didn't find a thread specifically for this show)

HBO is running through season1 of Deadwood currently

I really didn't sit through much of it when it originally aired, but I caught the first few episodes when they re-ran starting a couple of weeks ago

I guess one of the reasons was I really didn't watch alot of HBO in 2004 and the few eps I did catch originally squirreled me with all that yoda-speak

well, I have a confession
    I've recently watched all 36 episodes in less than a week
    ( and I can actually understand half of what they are saying now)
    and I can say that I loved it

word is that HBO offered Milch to do 6 more shows and he turned it down .... then there was talk of doing 2 separate "tele-movies" and that is currently endangered as well. to make things worse, there is now speculation that the sets are scheduled to be dismantled soon

what a shame ..... bunch of freakin' hoopleheads

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I saw you were sportin Deadwood flair in your you posts lately - whenever I brought up the show here before it never got much interest other than maybe Kaze and myslef.. Deadwood is my favorite show hands down..
    I'll never forget the first time I saw it was after flying for something like 18 hours back from Munich it they debuted it after a season premier of The Sopranos (which I was very big on at the time) and I remember telling my wife that Deadwood was better than The Sopranos after one episode. She though I was nuts.. A year later we would be visiting Deadwood and just happen to be there the same weekend as many of the show's stars.. Got to meet just about everyone pictured here: http://jeanoroid.com/deadwood/deadwood.html and even ate dinner at The Gem (the real one!) sitting at the table next to Dan Dority, Trixie, Hostetler and Johnny Burns..
    I really really wish they would have run at least another 2 seasons...

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

another 2 seasons ? .... I'd settle for another 2 shows

watching all 3 seasons in quick consecutive order brought a new understanding of the show. although Milch was slightly inconsistent with some plot directions he introduced and never completed, it still felt like you were "up-to-speed"

in a way, I guess the final episode "He wants me to tell him something pretty" wrapped up a long endured plot, it leaves you with nothing as to how the camp faired afterwards

I chalk it up to HBO not adequately supporting / promoting an exfellent product ... which wouldn't be the first

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

There still was so much early town history yet to be shown..
    - the end of the gold strike
    - The big fire that burns the hardware store - replaced by the Bullock Hotel, which still stands.
    - Bullocks friendship with Teddy Roosevelt
    - Jane's death
    - Star's mayorial stints
    - the demise of Al, who ultimately dies penniless in a train accident

Cancelling Deadwood was HBO's biggest blunder and along with the end of many other great shows, the network is hurting for quality new shows. Generation Kill is excellent, as expected of anything made by The Wire people, but it's sad that its the first reason since John Adams to tune into HBO.. Pretty sad for a network that used to run 3 or 4 great shows on any given Sunday night.
    TrueBlood looks to be cool though...

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

to me, TrueBlood looks pathetic
    it's way to campy for me
    you can watch all the "skits" OnDemand

if they tried to be halfway authentic or even remotely realistic it might be an interesting show, but the TrueBlood brew bottle commercials through way off

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Those commercials aren't really clips from the show - they are goof spoofs.. The show itself looks alot more dramatic. Somewhat like 6 Feet Under, which was the last show that guy made for HBO..

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Loved Deadwood... I have the first two seasons on DVD. Until just recently, I had no idea that the guy who played Dan Dorrity (sp?) also played Mary's brother in "There's Something About Mary".... (Franks and beans!).

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Just wanted to add, I also loved the Deadwood show and can't believe they let it end the way they did. So much more story to tell.

9. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Cool pictures. Where's that ****sucker Wu?

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I think it ended the 3rd season right where it needed to
    not to add any spoilers, but I would have liked Cy to have made a more aggressive move at the end of the final episode .... then again, the scenario I speak of could have taken place at many a moment throughout season3

i'm gonna miss Al, didn't care much for the character early on, but I (and probably many others) find him to be one of the more likeable identities

and sure, I could see more story to tell
    which leads me to ask "How much plot actually took place?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar