Deangelo Williams...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

To my understanding, he's a free agent at the end of this year. He's always been one of my favorite players in the league, so there's certainly bias involved, but in my opinion he'd fit this offense much better than CJ does. We've never had a problem acquiring productive running backs (I think not one less than 1k yds for the last 11 seasons or so), and this would be a good time to dump Johnson. He's still fresh on everyone's minds- some team is going to think he'll work for them, and he just may.. but he's not going to in Fisher's system.
    We need a back that will fight for yards but gets consistent yards. Moves the chains. Work the clock and allow our typically good defense to hold teams.

Maybe it's not Deangelo, but he provides the big play potential also. Ahmad Bradshaw would be perfect for us.. not sure what his contract situation is though.

2. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

I agree that Deangelo is a better fit for us. Somewhat similar speed to CJ with a lot more bulk. Hopefully, we'll adjust our offense rather than trade CJ though :\.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like him. Williams is a great player. Just wish we were using C.J. better.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Dump Johnson for a guy who's going to cost just as much money (DeAngelo will get a huge contract if he actually hits free agency), has a similar skill-set and who will be 28 at the start of next year? I fail to see how that's a good idea.

What skill does DeAngelo Williams possess that Chris Johnson doesn't? It's not like he's a banger who moves the pile. He doesn't have "a lot more bulk" like someone said above. Do you guys even watch him play? He has a few more pounds than CJ, but he's still a finesse back. When he's behind a bad o-line (like he is this season), DeAngelo Williams doesn't really produce big numbers.

Maybe try this thread again and substitute the name Jonathan Stewart. Then you might actually have a half-decent argument. At least he can be a power runner.

Or, here's a better idea. Let's all stop talking about getting rid of Chris Johnson because it's not going to happen.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'm not discussing a 'power runner'... but compared to CJ, Deangelo looks like Jerome Bettis.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I would love to have DW on the team, unfortunately, they seem high on Ringer. :hmm:

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I don't have a clue if Ringer @ RB can burn minutes off the clock and move the chains but I'd sure like to see if he can.. Split those carries.. Change of pace certainly doesn't hurt when plan A isn't working..

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

lets get balanced on offense before we go thinking about more running.

9. pettso

pettso Starter

I would have loved have taken a stab at Marion Barber this offseason. I remember Dallas saying they were taking offers but not actively trying to trade him.

Steven Jackson is probably my favorite running back in the league and would pick him over CJ and AP if I were building a team.

I don't really see DW being any better than CJ in the Fisherball system.

10. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

According to NFL.com, DeAngelo is 26lbs heavier than CJ. That seems quite a bit bulkier to me.

Also, I realize that DeAngelo isn't a power back. That's not the point. The point is that he's more of a power back than CJ and has similar speed. He just seems more well-rounded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar