Dear Jerry Gray

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I'm really liking Morgan as of late.

2. rodgev

rodgev Starter

All this week pull out the Oklahoma drill and just work on wrapping up human beings because the dummies that are being used in practice arent cutting it

3. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I'm available.

I think a Bath Salt mascot could do this team some good.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Yeh, Morgan played pretty well today, I guess. I'll need to re-watch though as it was a crazy game.

Back to Jerry Gray.

I'm noticing something more and more and it relates to the pass rush and Jerry Gray's scheme. I know we keep hating on the line for lack of sacks, but on a lot of plays they were indeed getting good pressure - but once again just couldn't finish.

Now with Jerry's scheme and its patented super soft coverage, it allows QBs to hit their outlet (i.e. quick out) option really easily, avoiding sacks (and breaking linemen spirits - it hurts to keep getting close all the time, with nothing to show for it). Moreover, its also one of the big reasons that QBs are completing like 99% of their passes against us....

The thing is we keep saying the line this and the line that, but if you NEVER take away the quick outs, you will never be able to get sacks, its just that simple. Just as DBs benefit from the line, they need to do their part. I'm not saying they physically aren't able to, but I'm concerned that Jerry's scheme is to blame for it (except, Wiffin, he sucks regardless).

I also don't think Jerry's creative enough on D in general, but more importantly in teaching his players how to disguise coverage and blitzes. QBs are able to constantly use their pre-snap count to determine the players who are blitzing (in the few times we actually do) - you know how frustrating it is that opposing QBs on almost all your blitzes are able to point out the guy(s) coming....

Even when we are not blitzing, at least make it look like your biting on the count, then drop back - let the QB think your coming in... Or crowd the line a bit, then drop back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I often just see our LBs hanging back. Play some damn mind games!

Extremely frustrated with him right now to say the least.....

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

you cannot consistently drop back the corners in major college football or the nfl. you MUST redirect within 5 yards or you'll get picked apart. you're exactly right in that our line IS getting pressure, but the soft coverage rarely gives time for the pressure to result in a sack.

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Soft coverage is a problem at least we blitzed on the last drive. This team just doesnt or cannot tackle fundamental football.

7. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

If Buffalo were smart, they would have run the ball instead of pass toward the end.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jerry Gray should go to the box like Palmer. Insta improvement.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

or just step down as DC.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well then I guess it's lucky for us that there's no signs of intelligent life in Buffalo New York

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar