Deeply Sadden.... Jevon.... Eddie... Derrick... Steve?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DirtySouthBoyz, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtySouthBoyz

DirtySouthBoyz Luv da' Rock

One by one I've watched the once superbowl contenders, fade away... First the freak, then Eddie, Derrick Mason, Samari Rolle and I know there are many others... What even hurts more is how thier situations have been handled.... It won't feel the same with out McNair.... I can't see anyone else wearig the starting uniform for the Titans but ,Steve.... And its wrong to do him this way.... Yea he's getting older but, come on! He took us to the Bowl.... He should be treated better than this.... If F.O. treats him this way, I kinda hope he does sighn with the Ravens....

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I take it you are ok with Steve's cap figure despite the fact it is approximately 1/4 of the entire cap? Just checking...

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I would also like to know if you would be "ok" with the current contract that Jervon is playing with in philly. He isn't exactly "tearing the league a new one" since he has been there.

4. titanfan53

titanfan53 put me in coach

im sad, its starting to sink in that ol' Mac9 will not be with us on the coming year......

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Well...first...let's not make it out like Steve has carefully been planning his contract situation out over the years to end up this way. We can thank Reese and the Titan FO for the constant maneuvering to get McNair into this position. That is why I believe this has been handled so poorly. Its that whole "setup to fail" scenario.

There are few positions on this team that have had someone play through pain and injury or sacrifice themselves in order to make this team go over the years like with Steve. I remember the year of his back injury when they were going to Oakland [I think] and Steve could not even sit on the plane...he had to stand or lie down in the isle I believe, yet he went out and played very well [again..if I remember correctly].

So...do I personally want us to carry an unusually high cap hit with McNair...nope. And I don't think McNair has 3 years of pro-bowl level play in him left...that is Bus-speak...which is the same noise I hear every time I flush my toilet.

However, Steve deserves SIGNIFICANTLY more respect and consideration from this organization than he has gotten in this situation. And I am hoping that there have been some phone calls in the background between Steve and many people in the FO apologizing for HOW it was handled.

If in the end this turns into something that Bus knew was going to happen and he strategically turned it into a media tool for negotiations [ironic...isn't that what an agent is ??] then shame on them. I cannot figure out if a quote from Wyatt's first article on this issue indicates this might be the case:

Cook said he received a call from Titans General Counsel Steve Underwood yesterday informing him that McNair would be told to leave the facility when he showed up for the team’s voluntary offseason conditioning program. When McNair arrived yesterday, trainer Brad Brown gave him the news.

In any case...this was handled poorly and of course has been filet mignon to the media in a story-starved time of the season apparently.

I hope Steve is under center opening day this year. Volek is not the answer.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I guess we could have shown more respect and signed all those guys to extended contracts with more upfront money (not that Mason or Rolle were willing to play ball to help the CAP out). Of course the team would be even worse than we are now. We would not have resigned KVB or been able to sign any of our FAs this year. We would be saddled with a DE that was grossly under performing his contract, a RB who was being way over paid for his production. How would we feel if McNair was making 10 million per year and still playing like an average NFL QB for the next 3 years? For better or worse things came to a head and even with losing a bunch of guys we are just now coming out of CAP hell. If McNair doesn't play ball and work a much more CAP friendly deal the Titans have no choice but to let him walk. One thing this organization has learned is you can't have a few players taking all your CAP space. It bites you hard in time. You simply can't pay guys based on what they have done in the past. Good management of the CAP is to pay guys based on their production now.
    Any way you slice it there is always a trade off. Ask Indy. They let a pro-bowl RB go who was way more productive than EG. Who knows, if we try to keep some of those other guys maybe we don't keep a guy like Bulluck.
    It is all part of the business. I wish Mac well at his new team.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I want McNair to stay. I'm sad at this so I'm just making myself hard to all of it. Volek is not the answer. I agree. I also endorse Soxcat's assertion that you can not have a player that takes up that much cap space.

I wish McNair well. I love Steve. I honestly do. It is a business and that is just the way things go.

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I don't disagree that Steve may be playing in a different uniform next year....unfortunately it is a business...so there you go.

I just think a guy who has stayed with a team his whole career and who has sacrificed part of his future health for that team deserves a little better...

9. metal957

metal957 Starter

Thanks BigMc for all you have done

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

All NFL players sacrifice their future health. It is part of the game and one reason they get paid good money. McNair has sacrificed by hauling in about 50 million dollars with the Titans and will make another 20-30 million after he leaves. The Titans don't need to sacrifice the team just because McNair deserves better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar