Defense is gonna be just as bad next season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Maker_84, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Dude... does that matter?

Just because we aren't buying into the pass heavy ways of the league doesn't mean we aren't on to something.

Seattle ranked bottom 5 or 10 in passing when they won the Super Bowl.

It's a copycat league, but sometimes it's better to be a little more creative rather than throwing 60% of the time.

We pass more than 50% of the time. That's enough. I'd say we have a really good balance. And we weren't nearly as predictable last year as we had been in the past. Except on 3rd and 1 when we ALWAYS ran it and it rarely worked. Why we never did PA bootlegs, I'll never know.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Either way, I am convinced we have improved our roster.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Carp

Carp Starter

The difference between us and league average is pretty negligible. We don't have to be the Saints to be a highly effective offense.

4. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Jackson gets an inch shorter every time you mention him...o_O

• LOL LOL x 3
  5. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

This is bang on. We've shown we can run the ball effectively. W just spent some draft capital on helping our pass game, which should improve immensely. When you can run AND pass the ball, you'll move the chains and put up points. Allows an offense to not be one dimensional and keep defenses honest. Plus it lets the defense rest, which was part of the problem last year.

I like what JR has done, I think we see double digit wins this year if the coaching/play calling is half decent. That area I think now stands alone as potentially the weakest link. But who knows, maybe they surprise everyone now that the roster has more talent on it.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We're not catching the league by surprise next year.

"Exotic smashmouth" was a heavily quoted joke all off-season by Titans writers and in NFL season previews. Mularkey was getting no respect (okay I get this one). Most faith in Mariota was in Nashville, okay, and Oregon and Hawaii. No one had any idea what DeMarco Murray had left in the tank. Our 5th round rookie WR was a starter on day 1 and our other starter rotated on and off the bench in a mess of an offense down in Miami. We also had a rookie RT and so many question marks on the interior OL.

We were 4th in the NFL in rush attempts and 28th in pass attempts. Mariota was still top 10 in touchdown passes and passer rating. Throw in the top WR prospect, the top slot WR prospect, another versatile pass-catching TE, and a ton of speed and let's see what happens next year.

Adapt or die.

7. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

In that case, I choose adapt.

8. Jack

Jack Special Teams Standout

Well, we've added some pieces on defense: Cyprien, Adoree', and Logan Ryan, most notably. We aren't going to be a top 10 defense this year, but we'll be better. More than anything, I just think we'll have more turnovers. Ryan and Adoree' might still give up some big plays, but I expect more INTs from them (and Sims) than we had from Cox and McCourty (and Sims).

But, our offense is going to be even better in 2017 than it was in 2016, and that's important. If our offense can sustain drives, that's going to help the D.

I think that, statistically, our D will look better on paper in 2017. We'll see if they are actually better on the field.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Whether it's right or wrong I think that we can see that Jrobs philosophy is not to try and buy a championship team through FA but to build it through the draft. The only time that you go out and break the bank in FA is when you have all of the pieces in place and your missing that one or two special players that can take you over the top.

Time will tell if it will work or not but almost every other consistent playoff caliber team builds through the draft with the occasional FA pickup if the price is right. Like Murray, Walker, and Ryan. To go out blow the wad on big splashy FA just because you have the money isn't smart if you ask me.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

If we can give the previous regimes any credit, it is in signing FAs and retaining players at a good value. Orakpo, Morgan, Casey and Walker's value exceed their price tags, and the team would look much different without them.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar