Defensive Backs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan9, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I think our defense has the potential right now to be a top 10 defense in the league. The linebackers have been fixed and are pretty well set, the dline is very solid and the only question there is the LE spot in which I think Laboy or Odom are on the verge of breakout seasons (maybe we could also draft Ahmad Brooks in the supp. draft, I hear that he will be working out as a DE). But my only question is the defensive backs, I mean I don't know really who are the starters. I say right now I can safely say that Pacman Jones and Chris Hope are the only players to really have a firm grip on their positions. Everything else is a toss up. Lamont Thompson I believe will be in battle with Lowery and Fuller, Im sure he will win. Then there is the nickleback spot, is it Woolfolk or is it Fuller? And then there is the other CB spot, I know all you reynaldology people out there will say its Reynaldo, but right now I think we need some vet presence, even if he doesn't start, at least have one that is 3rd on the depth chart. After Reese's interview today I don't think we are getting Law even if Steve goes. We had Ahmad Plummer here, but he came and left and we didn't here anything afterwards. Right now I am worried about our experience at the CB spots, it could turn out to be the downside of our defense. Not that it doesn't have potential, because in a year it will be strong, but I think we need someone who has experience and knows how to go out there and get the job done. Does anyone know or suggest we will do something about this, or are we really that confident in our DB situation. By the way, I am really intriuged by this Courtland Finnegan guy he seems like a real find.

(I started this thread, because the other one became a Andre Woolfolk bashing thread, let this one be a football thread, as far as I see it Andre is 3rd on the depth chart, and yes he lost his job to two rookies, that is the end of that discussion.)

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

How long you wanna bet it takes for this to become a Brian-WoolfolksUncle flame test? :sad2: :whoop: :doh: :drunk:

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

they will probably see how Hill, Woolfolk etc go at the #2 spot @ training camp and determine whether they need a vet or not.

4. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I like the Jerome Woods guy out of Kansas City, I think he got released the other day, any chance we bring him to backup Lamont Thompson, and just move Vinnie Fuller to CB. And Im am still in way hoping we do sign Ahmad Plummer, he may come for cheap, and he is 30 so he has experience and is at the age where when it is time for him to leave our other guys will be sure enough be ready. Or we can let our young guys take the long and hard knocks, and hope that next season they have pro bowl type seasons. Actually I think Pacman is posed for his first pro bowl season this season.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I like that there is a emphasis on speed. In some things I've read and the Pacman selection last year, I hope to see alot of pursuit and DB's getting into position to play the ball. I think the DB's as a whole will be improved and I really think Pacman will settle in and produce.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

We definately need a vet at corner. We really dont have any proven CBs. Hill and Pac Man showed flashes at times last year, but its still to be determined how good they are going to be. And neither is going to be anywhere near a shut down guy this season I dont think. Id love to see us get Ty Law, but we dont need to break the bank for him. But a proven corner would help our secondary a lot. If nothing else than to take a little pressure off Hill and Pac Man.

7. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i can almost bet no vets will be brought, by the looks and sounds of things, the organization is comfortable with pacman renayldo fuller and woolfolk @ corner for this upcoming season....with waddell coming back in midseason, honestly im comfortable with the current DB's...

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I disagree. The set of corners we have right now certainly have potential, but are by no means what I would consider a very good group at this point. And with the last few seasons we have had I think Reese and Fisher have to be somewhat concerned about their jobs. This team is definately built for the future, and doesnt have great expectations this year. But, we have been dreadful the last two years and one more season like the last 2 and we are basically in the same category as the 49ers or teams like that. Consistent bottom feeders. The D line is solid, the LBs and safeties are improved, but the CBs havent been addressed. I think they at least strongly look for a vet CB as at least a safety blanket in case Pac Man, Hill and Woolfolk dont live up to expectations. Even if we arent in the playoffs, this team at least needs to show that they are improving and have potential, or Reese and Fisher have to be seriously concerned about their jobs.

9. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

there is no way we are going to win a superbowl this year... let our young db's learn for another season then in a year this (hopefully) wont be a topic

10. Two things make a big difference for DBs..... Pass rush and Safety play.... So recap the games the Titans won and the ones they came close in.... Pass rush first of all was a big deal...Our DLmen ran over the Ravens line like it was pop warner, so indications from the second game of the year were good. Then a couple of injuries and an ineffective pass rush vs the Colts and the Rams exploited our DBs but this would have exploited anybody including the great Champ Bailey. Example: Pittsburghs O-line held the Broncos in check even when they blitzed and Roth burned Bailey and the Broncos all day. The other O-lines the Titans dominated ironically were good pass defense games for the Titans (Texans, San Fran, and actually a decent game until late third qtr - Arizona). Safety play.... We have HOPE as in Chris Hope.... He gave Troy Polamalu the room and ability to be wide open and free because he always was where he needed to be and was able to compensate whenever Polamalu freelanced. I believe the Titans may give Thompson that freelance freedom so the Pass Defense will be more succesful. Oh, also, DBs won't have to worry about the run as much because another solid Linebacker has been added in Mr. David Thornton...... The outlook is positive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar