Defensive Ends Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I am now convinced the Titans will select a pass rusher in the first round of the draft.

Watching Jason Pierre-Paul destroy opponents over the past month, it has become clear to me that the one piece that would benefit the Titans most is an elite pass rusher. Such a player makes the rest of the defense exponentially better. Right now, the Titans have some pretty mediocre defensive ends (and one of them, Jason Jones, looks fairly likely to leave via free agency) but the rest of the defense is decent--and it could be great if the pass rush was improved.

The best place to find elite pass rushers is the first round of the draft, in my opinion. Guys like that almost never hit free agency and when they do, they get gigantic and restrictive contracts (Julius Peppers, Charles Johnson). It's far better to get a guy on a rookie deal and then try to re-sign him before he hits free agency.

Take a look at where some of the best pass rushers in the league right now were drafted:

Julius Peppers - #2 overall
    Terrell Suggs - #10 overall
    Demarcus Ware - #11 overall
    Jason Pierre-Paul - #15 overall
    Tamba Hali - #20 overall
    Clay Matthews - #26 overall
    Jared Allen - #124 (round 4)
    Elvis Dumervil - #126 (round 4)

I think there's a pretty clear trend here: elite pass rushers come out of the first round of the draft. Sure, some bust, but that's just a risk that you have to take. Every position can bust.

I know the Titans spent a first round pick on Derrick Morgan just 2 drafts ago, but I think it's a good idea to once again look for a DE. Maybe Morgan will one day become elite, but maybe not. I'd say it's 50-50 at best for him. It would sure be nice to pair him up with another first rounder on the other side. Think of how good the Titans defense could be if they both developed into studs.

I'm hoping we can discuss all the defensive ends we like in this thread. Let's leave the discussion of interior linemen, wide receivers and safeties to other threads. I think all those positions are also needed by the Titans, but they are best addressed in rounds 2-7 or in free agency. I think round 1 is where the Titans need to zero in on a DE.

So, which DEs do you guys like? I don't follow college football too closely, so I am just getting acquainted with all the top prospects.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Is Quinton Coples a DT or DE?

He could be the perfect guy to replace Jones with.

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

End and doesn't fall out of the top 15

4. gran54

gran54 Starter

For picking at 20 in the draft, there are 2 defensive that I like and they are Melvin Ingram from South Carolina and Whitney Mercilus from Illinois.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Will Whitney Mercilus be big enough to do what Gray wants our ends doing? Either way he'd be a good pick.

6. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

If we can get a solid DE in the first round, Jones can walk and Casey/Klug can start at DT with Marks & Smith staying on as subs. Pair Morgan with a good first round DE, sign a veteran DE to be a rotational guy and we may have a good DL next year.

I wouldn't be opposed to going DE in the first round. We have more work to do on DL than OL IMO.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

You're right that I think they go defense 1st round and if Jason Jones signs somewhere else I'd almost bank on it that it's a DE. Even if we resign JJ I bet he goes back to DT.

Compared to last years draft this draft is very weak at DE. To me Coples is a huge question mark because he's really only had one good year in college. I'd almost rather take someone like Vinny Curry in the 2nd, than risk a 1st on someone like Coples.

8. gran54

gran54 Starter

I think so, I believe they would make the push for him at end because he is a good pass rusher, but the only thing that gets me is he has had one great season with 16 sacks, but the numbers don't lie. Weather we take either of these players or if they fit our scheme will be decided in the next 4 months.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

No.

Honestly Mercilus is a LATE 1st - 2nd type of guy. He has good stats, but he has many flaws:

1. Slow off the snap
    2. Doesn't accelerate well
    3. Average upper body strength
    4. 265, isn't the best for a DE.. so a little small.
    5. Can be "too" aggressive

Being an Illini guy, I like the man.. But he's not really worth the 20th pick (even though I put him in a prior mock of mine, lol)

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Ingram is an interesting prospect, when I started checking out his highlight reels it was a bunch of ints and stupid stuff that didn't impress me as a DE. Once I watched game film I noticed he was pretty consistent and they stood him up alot also... I really think gray will fall in love with the kid and he will be our pick. He seems like he can be another hybrid type player that we can move around, drop back, rush, put his hand down. He looks the part.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar