Del Rio: Expectations can't hurt Jags now

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>A year ago, expectations were bubbling over for the Jaguars. Coming off a season that featured a playoff win in Pittsburgh, they were a bit of a media darling and a hip Super Bowl pick.</p> <p>Here's <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-2-9/Harris-says-expectations-won-t-distract-Jags.html" target="_blank">a post</a> on the topic I wrote last July 7, with comments from since-departed GM Shack Harris on how the team would maintain its focus.</p> <p>After an injury-riddled 5-11 year, Jack Del Rio told reporters at the NFL owners' meeting earlier this week that big expectations from the outside are obviously not going to be part of his team's offseason this year.</p> <blockquote> <p>Del Rio: "I don't think there's any question that spending time talking about something as opposed to going in and working at the details, I don't think there's any question that can be a distraction and a problem. For me right now, the most refreshing thing is I know right now we won't have any of that talk today. We won't have any of that discussion during this offseason. So we're going to get back to the fundamentals of playing football. We're going to work on our conditioning, work on the fundamentals that we need to operate our offense, defense and special teams, and then we're going to go out and compete our tails off. We're going to get back to the basics on that. I really think that you can get away from the little things that make the difference. And the work that need to be done. We're going to get back to work."</p> </blockquote> <p>So did little things get overlooked a year ago?</p> <blockquote> <p>"It's not overlooked. And it's not that you don't think you're doing it," Del Rio said. "It's just not with the same amount of commitment, of all-in, the mentality of being all-in. It's a fine line now. You're not talking about something that is clear to everyone, or else it would be corrected right away. But in hindsight, when you take a look back, you're like, 'Clearly, this train got off track. We need to get back on the tracks.'"</p> </blockquote>

More...

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Del Rio isnt the answer. seems like he wants the Jags to have an image to be big and mean like the Ravens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar