Delanie Walker supports tougher DUI laws

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

New Titans tight end Delanie Walker is pledging his support for stricter laws for convicted drunk drivers.

Walker recently sent a letter to lawmakers in Tennessee urging them to support House Bill 353 and Senate Bill 670, sponsored by Rep. Tony Shipley and Sen. Mae Beavers, which would require convicted drunk drivers to use an ignition interlock device.

Currently, ignition interlock devices are not required for first-time DUIs.

Walker, formerly with the 49ers, lost his aunt and uncle when an alleged drunk driver crashed into their vehicle the morning after Super Bowl XLVII at the Superdome.

“I know too well the pain caused by drunk driving,’’ Walker said in a letter to lawmakers. “… I am excited to be playing for the Titans. And, can think of no better welcome to Tennessee than passage of legislation that will save lives and stop drunk driving. This game changing legislation would honor the memory of my aunt and uncle and all victims of this senseless crime while helping to protect families in Tennessee.”

The mechanism requires a driver to have a legal blood-alcohol content level before the car will start. Repeat offenders are required to use the device only after they have been caught driving with a blood-alcohol level of .15 percent or greater, though the state’s legal limit for driving is .08.

HB 353/SB 670 would require ignition interlock devices for any conviction resulting from a .08 reading.

“Drunk driving doesn’t discriminate,’’ Walker said in the letter. “It doesn’t matter if you are a NFL football player or a football fan, anyone can become a victim. As one of the newest members of the Tennessee Titans, and as the nephew of Peaches and Uncle Bryan, I ask Tennessee lawmakers to pass HB 353 and SB 670 and protect families in Tennessee.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I guess him and KB won't be hanging out together

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

They got those in Ontario. An ex of my sister, who is a loser, had to get one. So friggin sensitive that if anyone in the car has been drinking it will not start. And if someone who has been drinking get in the car while it is running then the engine shuts off. Prevents a DUI convict from getting someone else to start his car as a way of getting around the interlock.

4. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Hmmmm, this law is already somewhat in effect as my friend got his first DUI about 6 months ago and had to have that device put in. It was b/c he was over a specific limit. But it was his first, no repeat like it says above.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think this is already in effect here in CT, but takes 2 or more DUI's

6. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

He has been hanging out with the cop that blue light McNair twice. I think the same cop got Kearse also.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar