Dexter

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by RavensShallBurn, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

BSG = my favorite show ever.

My Dexter Rankings best seasons: 4-1-2-3-5

I honestly thought season 5 was pretty bad. 3 was really only ok for me. Loved 4,1,and 2 though.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I thought the show slipped from fun and addicting in the first two seasons, into mediocre-but-watchable in Season Three, sort of reverted back to form in Season Four thanks in large part to Mr. Lithgow being utterly fantastic.

Season Five was a hot f'ing mess to me. The problem with Dexter has ALWAYS been that it's b-plots with the supporting cast have been consistently unlikeable and utterly boring, usually because of some mediocre acting and just plain terrible writing. Here it really comes to a head, specifically the romantic angles and the snooze-fest ritualistic serial killings that felt tacked on.

But my biggest issue was (1) a fairly boring main antagonist in John Lee Miller (okay actor at best) and (2) an absolutely grating supporting performance from Julia Styles. It was painful for me to watch her at times, and it really impacted my enjoyment, because she got a ton of screen time.

However, I loved Peter Weller as the crooked ex-detective who's working with Quinn. A total slime-ball portrayl and I had a blast watching him.

I have even less hope this season (anything with Colin Hanks headlining is worrisome indeed), but it's a show me and my girlfriend can enjoy.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I high-fived you solely for your analysis on the Dexter seasons.

I think BSG sucks... of course, I only watched the first two episodes of the show on Netflix, but I hated it. The fact that I gave it a chance was valiant enough. A friend of mine who has the worst taste in TV shows/movies recommended it to me.

Plus, with all the BSG jokes with Dwight on The Office, I just assumed it sucked.

4. RavensShallBurn

I figured if my friend (who's in film school in Cali) said season 5 sucked, then it was probably true.

Looks like he's right judging from everyone's opinions. Thanks guys... keep 'em coming!

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The one HUGE plus about Season Five: No Rita!
    Dexter "the family man" had run its course and then some..
    She was OK when she was the aloof, slightly "special" GF to the serial killer. Once she become Mrs. perfect judgmental house-marm I was over it.
    Julia Stiles stunk.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Do yourself a favor and go back and give it a full season. There is literally no way to comprehend the massive scope of BSG based on those first episodes.

A very smart show, covering daring topics, asking real questions - with the SciFi angle as more of a backdrop.
    Best thing about BSG is that they covered the entire arc. It has a start and a finish. Dexter should be so lucky.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

LOL - film school and taste have no intertwining boundaries..

8. RavensShallBurn

I was referring to his opinion on the storyline, acting, directing, etc... which means at least something (to me, at least) from someone who's at a school that only accepts 100 people per year into their film program.

I was shown one short bit from season 5 (with Styles and Hall). It was garbage.

And before someone ruins who exactly Styles' character is in the show, don't do that! I think I've figured it out, but I don't want to know.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's ok. I thought 24,Weeds,Breaking Bad were all garbage. Also never got into the Office. I'll give you Curb though, that's a quality show.

I like a lot of nerdy space and sci-fi shows.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Ah Alex you lost me w Breaking Bad..
    Love the hell out of that show..
    Curb is funny if not for the same joke being told over and over..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar