Did Reese Adequately Protect The Franchise From Pacman?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Can anyone answer the original question?

2. There isn't a lot that can be done for long-term protection. They did delay a lot of his bonus money until the 2nd year (because of the Club 615 affair before he ever signed) so they could have cut him before that came due. But after he got his 2nd year bonus there isn't really any way to protect the team unless the player agrees to it (and few would).

They could have tried to put a clause in his contract, but then Pacman's agent wouldn't have agreed to it. And really, with the new CBA, it may have been superseded because they refined rules on what money a team can recover for things like this.

The truth is that NFL players are easier to get rid of that in other sports where the entire contract is guaranteed. You may not get back the bonus money, but base salaries don't have to get paid out...

3. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

I recall reading that the contract ddi indeed have some language that allows the Titans to recoup bonus money if he is convicted.
    Odds are the plea deal triggers it.

When he was signed after the holdout, there was a delay in getting league approval because of the "novel language" in the contract.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I agree. Once he is reinstated and it is known he will play in the NFL again there will be offers for him.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The problem I see is teams know we probably don't want to go to camp with Pacman lingering around and when he is reinstated we will have to make a decision one way or the other (we sure don't want to start paying him). Teams won't give up much for a guy they think might get cut. Our only hope is more than one team wants him so they have to bid a little. Maybe we can get as high a a 5th rounder but I doubt it.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It is not definite he is gone from Tennessee.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Danny, my odds of winning Powerball are better than his odds of dressing in two-tone blue. :p

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

But it is still a possibility.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

not when you don't have a ticket.

10. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Pacman remains banned per orders from the Titans. Reinfelt, Underwood and Fisher are very clear about Pacman's future. Don't think for a minute that the Titans are caught by surprise by any decision from Goodell.

Pacman is being put on pause until training camp to get the best deal. Training camp reveals a team's weakness and needs and also injuries. Teams are more likely to strike deals closer to season opener.

Keeping Pac suspended until tc is a perfect solution for the Titans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar