Did we really?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Our defense does not guard the middle of the field. It's a cover 2 shell that a fourth grade madden player can figure out. It's absurd...that's why Gates and Fasano are wide open on every play. I don't know how we expect to win games like that, but that's the issue. Theres about a 8 yard diameter circle right behind our line with no one guarding it. We better figure something out or Manning will ear our breakfast lunch and dinner at the end of the year.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

How many times did we go 3 and out in the first half? I can think of three times we had the ball at midfield and went three and out. Didn't even score a single field goal off of those opportunities. That effects the defense for the rest of the game. They play hard, get the ball back, and are back on the field less then 5 real time minutes later. On consecutive possessions. You don't just 'rest up' during a 6 minute drive when you've been running your @$$ off for the past 2 hours.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

oh boo-freakin'hoo the D is on the field. Don't give up 13 yards on 3rd and 12 and you are off the field, what was the fish on thrd downs like 9 of 16 something like that. And against the bolts the D was just as bad on 3d

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

No doubt. We put them in a third and long hole then run away from the middle of the field as soon as the ball is snapped, letting their TEs and backs catch check downs and get enough YAC for a first down

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good post but I don't think our talent is as lacking. Just a couple of years ago, three of the four DBs were in the Pro Bowl. Maybe it was a fluke. But I think Griffin is playing at a Pro Bowl level now. I agree Hope is on the decline in coverage.

Our front four feasts on weaker OLs but can't seem to find any consistent pressure. I think a lot of that is due to Brown being out. I doubt he's 100% now but I see this as being an area which will improve as Brown's health does.

Babin, Ball, Ford and Hayes are streaky. When the interior gets a push and the QB can't step up, they are effective. Without that push, they almost become a non-factor. Remember, Morgan is a first-round talent. I think he'd be making an impact right now.

I will agree with your assessment of the LBs. They are solid versus the run but a liability in coverage. I don't think they have the speed necessary to get to the receiver and limit the yards after the catch. I think the amount of yards given up to the TE is direct proof. I also see a big part of this being scheme. The LBs drop into coverage and the CBs are often yards off the line. The quick slants are always open. Cecil is about giving up the short stuff which works only if the defense can converge and limit yac. Griffin seems to be able to close fast but Hope isn't getting there.

As for giving up 15+ yard receptions on third-and-long, that stuff is just inexcusable.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

That lost was on the D 100% no way no how you let 3 Qbs and a wildcat beat you.

7. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

Hope definately needs to be replaced after this year. Maybe Myron Rolle will come on or something.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm with Big Kahuna, there is no excuse for giving up those big gains on 3rd and long. It gives me flashbacks of the days of Lamont Thompson and Reynaldo Hill.

I like Tulloch a lot, he has a lot of heart and gives his all but his all just isn't enough to cover legit TEs in this league. He's too slow. McRath is good too but is still raw. Witherspoon is a trooper but he's also too slow to keep up in pass coverage. I think that Thornton could really come in and help us out in that area, if for no other reason just having a fresh body in there.

Our line is playing solid but still inconsistent. Hope is clearly the weak link in the secondary. We need to tune things up because it's not gonna get any easier for us here down the stretch.

I'm not gonna panic even though I know we've got a lot of work to do to.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Our problem is that most of our defenders have the heart of a lion and the body of a sheep. Cortland is constantly going head-to-head with a receiver that towers over him. Hope is in the box pretending to be a linebacker then getting killed by TE's. Jason Jones is 276lbs and taking on 320lb lineman. Tulloch is tiny, but packs a solid punch, IF his donkey legs can get to you. I'm not saying we need to get bigger, but we need to use our speed, wits, and depth to win ball games. We're getting pushed around a little too much, especially in the 4th quarter.

10. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Giving them that ball on our own 20 twice had nooooothing to do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar