Did we take a running QB that

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The more I think about the Locker pick, the less I like it. I think we can all admit it was a reach- even if you like the guy. I like him, but the reasons I like him aren't because of the way he throws the football. He's a good guy, class act, humble, hard worker... but... what about on the field?
    In college he was a running QB. No mistake about it. Even when he did pass, it was on bootleg attempts or while scrambling. Problem is- he's not fast enough to play in the same style in the NFL.
    And from everything I've seen, he can't throw from the pocket. So what is he going to do in the NFL?

He shows great things while on the run, but I just don't know how well that translates to the NFL.

Still say, we could have gotten him or an equivalent later while drafting a better "BPA" early.
    If this was truly Chris Palmer's guy... it's probably the wrong one judging by his past.

To me, he seems like Toby Gerhart that throws the ball from time to time.

2. vy102000

vy102000 Camp Fodder

Seems like a white Vince Young to me but I think Bud Adams had a lot to do with this pick, he has always loved mobile QB's, i.e. VY and Mcnair.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I really really like Jake Locker, I just don't think he's gonna be that good. For some reason I think Brady Quinn:(

4. pettso

pettso Starter

To be honest, I don't see it as a reach.

There's no way he would have been around in the 2nd round and there's no telling that he would have made it past the 10 through 12 picks either. The staff obviously graded him higher than Gabbert so what's to say that other teams hadn't done the same?

I think franchise QBs are exempt from the term "reach." Whether you're drafting at #1 or #8, if you need a QB and there's a QB you like and think will be the future of the team, you draft them, period.

If you judged wrong, well, crap happens but you never want to gamble with that position. Yeah, we could have probably got an extra 3rd round pick if we had slid down a few spots (maybe even a late 2nd)... but what happens if the Jaguars jump up and take Locker? Or the Skins? Or the Vikings? Then your whole coaching staff feels like crap and you've started off on the wrong foot. Munchak and company decided that they liked Locker enough not to gamble on the pick and I'm sure everyone in that room (except maybe Jerry Gray) is ecstatic that they got who they got right before the short QB run.

I'm pretty sure if they had liked Locker, Ponder and Dalton about the same, they would have waited for the 2nd round where one of the three would likely be available (and trade up of 2 of the 3 went) but they obviously liked Locker significantly more than anyone else.

• High Five High Five x 5
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

He is faster than Cam Newton at least. Having the ability to move around is a plus, as long as he develops the ability to pass from the pocket, the pocket he never had in college.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The reason I consider it a reach is not because HE wont be there later, but because prospects at the same position just as good will be.

I've never really bought the "a franchise qb can't be a reach". Any time you can trade back to get the same guy but don't... to me, that's a reach.

7. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Practice Squad

Locker throws a very pretty ball, he has only been in a pro style offense set for 2 years, all of his life and the first 2 years of college was spent in a running style kind of offense.

I saw a stat where if Locker completed just 25 more passes, he would have been well over 60%. The kid had 40 drops and threw the ball out of bounds 60 times!.

On roll outs he is at 70% completion percentage, so you know that he can throw a good pass, if you fix his mechanics, his accuracy will improve

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Ai2Ai

Ai2Ai Starter

It's all speculation anyway. He could be a superstar, a Ryan Leaf, or somewhere in between. We can argue this and that but in the end there's really no point because we just have to wait.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Ai2Ai

Ai2Ai Starter

Saying that, I like the fact that Gruden loves him. He was a successful coach and looks at the player as a whole, not just a bunch of stats like Hair Gel Mel.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

All of you haters will be wearing Locker jerseys by December.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar