DiRT

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Puck, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

[​IMG]

new this week to the Playstation Store is the DiRT demo
    wth .... why not ? I love a good racing game

WOW !!! what an incredible intro video ! looks dang near real .... anyway

to me the Menu system is one of the slickest I've seen
    and it's cool that the load screen is masked in a "progress"/"achievement" review of your skills so far

I've raced a few races and for the most part it was a blast (a little quirky - as the cars seem to be a little "light'")
    Damage modeling was nice, as I managed to separate several parts off my car ... it even felt like I was having to compensate steering after crushing my front end into a rock - gotta love physics

does anyone OWN this game on 360 ?

- I always liked RalliSport Challenge

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I own it. The menu system is the best ever. It's slick. And fun to navigate. The game is even more beautiful. It is only my second racing game. So I can't compare it to very many games, but it is fun and sort of hard at times. The game is beautiful to watch. I really like the races, with all different types of vehicles, and the tight adjustments you can make to the car. When the car breaks down it is so cool because the window cracks a little, a little more, a little more, then shatters, and when it cracks and gets dirty the racing becomes a lot harder in first person. It's pretty neat. The rallies are really hard for me tho as they are really long. But so far so good. It's not perfect as far as playing, cause you can really crash hard with the slightest mistake, but it's a neat looking game and has some good racing. Being only my 2nd racing game ever, it's been a fun ride.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

is the campaign deep ?

the demo allows you to choose 3 different vehicles and each one is entered in a different type of race
    can you race the buggy in all formats or just in mud?

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Let's put it this way. I'm on Tier three of the pyramid structure and I've already been on 30 different tracks. I think there are like 15 tiers. It won't let me see the top of the pyramid yet. That is the career mode. Each track has five different levels to win ( hard to easy )

I think you are limited as to what you can drive where and when. You get to pick from 2 types of car and a total of 10 total cars per race where I am at. So you may get even more options later on as you get higher. Not sure yet. But the game is deep so it shouldn't matter a lot. I know there are at least 50 different types of car that handle differently. You will get to drive everything in multiple settings from what I can tell. I think selection was considered a slight draw back to the game, but I'm not very deep into it, so I don't know what is next or how the vehicle system selection works at higher levels. It wants you too master all the vehicles. So you can't race a buggy against a truck for example. You have to get used to driving different types of cars and every car handles different. I haven't even driven the buggy yet, but I have driven the huge trucks on a dirt track and that was a lot of fun. The buggy shows up in tier 3 somewhere. I do know that. I just can't afford to buy it yet.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's one of today's Gold Box deals for $39
    about an hour left
    I snagged one ... I liked the demo

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

So what's your opinion of the game Puck?

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

well, it's kind of a mixed bag really

I love the menu system...very well laid out
    however, the WHITE background plays games with your retina's

I like the tracks and events
    however, if you win an event at level 3 (amateur) for instance, it decreases the payout for levels 1-2 (rookie/clubman)

the graphics are intense and look great
    however, the sun makes the dirt glow gold - another eye shot
    also, the 360 version is said to have erratic framerate where the Ps3 maintains a solid 30fps (why not 60?)

[​IMG]

The controls are great
    however, the cars use a central pivot (perhaps some later cars don't) - it feels a little weird, especially when your used to games that don't

this is a little disappointing
    (taken from Gamespot's review of the Ps3 version)
    --The one feature that DiRT skimps badly on is multiplayer support. There is multiplayer, but just barely. Only two disciplines--rally and hillclimb--are available to play in multiplayer. But wait, aren't those the two disciplines that don't have you competing directly against other cars? You bet. Essentially, you're dumped into a lobby with potentially dozens of other players, and from there, you vote on which track you want to play. The available list to vote on is always random, and there's no option to pick a different car or even search for a lobby with specific cars/tracks available. Once you're in a race, it's merely a time trial against all the other players. You can see how you're doing in the real-time standings, but that's all. While the Colin McRae series has never been known for great multiplayer support, the total lack of online racing in a game that debuts several wheel-to-wheel racing types is a gigantic tease and really disappointing.---

I like it
    there aren't alot of Rally racers available for Next-Gen systems
    it's probably the best off-road racer so far
    as a complete package, I take it over Sega Rally Revo / MX vs ATV / Motorstorm
    too bad the Multiplayer is nothing more than a time-trial
    which ,in a way, is a blessing in it's curse

basically Bobo, it's a great rally game for the Ps3, but the framerate issues on the 360 and PC do not make it a good option for those systems - unless you happen to like framerate dipping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar