Do I sense a little unrest?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I am a nurse and I save a life at least once a week. An LPN can work for over 18 years and do well at the job. A new grad RN can come into the hospital, be the LPN's supervisor, make 15-20K more and know about half as much. A new grad NP who has not worked a day on the hospital floor can come in and be in charge of an entire ER and make as much as a physician. I passed my boards in January and was working as a supervisor of an entire facility in February. Scary stuff.

My point is that what all people do in healthcare is super important and crucial. No one cares until their loved one or they are in a health crisis. What I do is more important than a football player. No physician, nurse practicioner, or nurse will even command the same salary as a football player. No wait, a physician or NP can out earn the guys who are on the practice squad and vets who are making the league minimum.

However, no one is paying 1,200 to come watch me do my work. What I do isn't a major programming event on Sunday. There isn't a network dedicated to what I do and people have to pay to get the channel. Well, I take that back, there's the Discovery Health channel, but anyway. There's no beat writers that hang out waiting to get the story on the fecal impaction I just resolved. No one's buying scrubs with my name on the back. Networks aren't spending billions of dollars to get the rights to broadcast my facilities procedures.

It's rare that 2 people doing the same job are making the same. Someone's always going to make a bit more than you, no matter your job. Yeah, it's just a game, but are people paying a guap to go see high school football? No.:irked:

2. BronzeHammer

BronzeHammer Guest

Here's what you just said to me, and you let me know if you think it's as ludicrous as I do:
    "The only thing wrong with your post is that I did not read or understand it."

You say, presumably, that I'm right for the most part, and then disagree with my entire post. How can you do this? Makes no sense. Anyway, let's get on with the post as if you read what I said.

First, it's spelled "paid". Second, football players do not get paid way too much for what they do. That was the point of my post, and I think I proved it. Until you come up with an objection other than "nuh-uh", I can't write further about that.

The rest of the post is disjointed and untenable. You seem to suggest that veterans should make more than rookies. While that's a fair point, you don't flesh it out, and the converse argument can be made. Rookies provide excitement for a team, and probably bring a lot of 'new money' into a franchise. Do I think VY jerseys sold proportionally 5x more than McNair jerseys would have if he were our QB? Yes. I think a lot of rookies are worth more than their veteran counterparts, and all players expect big paydays in their rookie contracts. That's just how the game works.

Further, why do you think that all NFL players should be paid 1 million dollars a year, for example? Why should we put a ceiling on people's earnings? Maybe we should put a $30,000 cap on your earnings. You don't need more than that. That's enough for a mortgage on a decent house and a decent car. That's all you need, because I said so. WRONG. It's the free market. You're not worth 1mil/year, and most football players are worth more. Where would you rather their money go? Owners' pockets? NFL's coffers? I don't get this point of view. It's not only completely absurd, it's disparaging of capitalism in general. Except to when it comes to you, of course. Please re-read my analogies to people that make less than you and how it is similar to how you're reacting to how much football players make. It's all relative.

Football players love the game. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get paid what they're worth.

Dying*. Argument is irrelevant. The army is voluntary, and few skills are required at an entry level, which is why they're paid less. Most anyone can do it. I'm not cutting my salary to give it to them (more than I have to, with taxes) just because they "fight for our freedom"(arguable) and football players don't. If I went into the military after I got my degree, I'd get paid more because that's worth more. Not a difficult concept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar