Do NFL teams purposely TANK for higher picks?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's all in how you define "tanking". If "tanking" is not playing your best players at every opportunity, then the Titans are guilty of that now. That's how I define it.

Do head coaches who are safe in their contracts occasionally call a fake or something high-risk because they don't fear losing the game or their jobs, then I'm with you there too.

If you want to define it the same way as openly throwing games, then I'd say no one in the NFL does that because all hell would rain down on any team caught doing such a thing.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I vote no because that is how I would define it.

Nobody truly tanks, but you nailed it that teams will not play the best players and call riskier plays because the fear of losing isnt there.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

There were Colts players that season that were angry about being placed on the IR. After they saw that they weren't going to be competitive, they IR'd everyone with a hangnail.

4. kenny

kenny Starter

This is the one I was thinking of as well. I think everyone knew that Indy was doing this just to get Luck. He was a once in decade probably more prospect though. I would have been fine with us tanking for Luck.

5. Carp

Carp Starter

I think bad teams are gonna be bad teams. What looks like tanking is often times just bad teams playing bad. You don't see much player dumping going on around the trade deadline like you do in other sports. And I can't imagine any scenario in which a coach would refuse to run out his best 11 available players on to the field. I don't think that coach would last very long in the NFL.

So no, I don't think "tanking" exists in the NFL.

6. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

That game against the Colts made me believe they were tanking.

Seriously, the Colts didn't want to win that game. But the Titans couldn't stop tripping over their own feet.

Should of won that game and we would of been in the playoffs that year.

7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

It would be funny to see the worst 2 teams in the league playing against each other week 17. Both teams are in desperate need of a QB, and there is a once in a generation prospect coming out, and the #2 QB is a big drop off from him.

Now we have the recipe for truly seeing a team tank.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

By week-17 we could possibly see this unfold, but neither team would take a QB.

Carolina and Atlanta are both struggling lately, if their losing trends continue, loser of their week-17 matchup could be picking No.1 overall.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Thaddeus43

I guess it wouldn't HAVE to be a QB. Both of them are in big need of a wide out right? Maybe they fight for Amari Cooper

10. Thaddeus43

Also it seems a little odd that the Texans have switched QBs at this point in the season. I know Fitz isn't great by any means, and he makes costly mistakes sometimes, but they are FAR from being out of the WC chase, and still have a shot at the division.

They are in a completely different situation that than the Titans. They have a good running game and decent D. So it just seems odd that they would switch QBs in the middle of the season like that. Are they giving up on the season already?

I know Mallet isn't a rookie, but he has never really played in an NFL game before, so he is still an unknown. Do you really think that Mallet has shown THAT much in practice to over take Fitz in the middle of a playoff push?

It seems to me they are throwing a guy in there and hoping he either becomes the one, or tanks. They just don't want to be mediocre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar