Do NFL teams purposely TANK for higher picks?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yeah. management definitely tanks.. no way players do.

Decisions like starting Curtis Painter all season=tanking.

No way you can possibly get players to buy in, but management/coaches can purposely keep bad players in to help insure losses.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

zero doubt the ponies tanked to get sLuck

embarassing part was once they had #1 spot locked down they beat the Titans with Ovlavskie or whatever that losers name is

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Dan Orca-kabobskie.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I know it happened in the NHL years ago. Ottawa tanked for a higher pick. And I assume it has happened in the NBA.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

In general, teams do NOT try to tank games to lose. We will see poor decisions made, but rarely if ever will you see a team not try to win. Believe me, lots of teams don't understand good clock management which makes me think they aren't trying to win...but primarily it's because they aren't very good (which is part of the reason they are in that situation in the first place!).

As some have said, if you purposefully try to lose a game, that tarnishes your reputation and that's not a risk most coaches would take.

Now that is completely different from a team...let's say the titans this season...who have managed to find ways to lose winnable games and are almost mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. And because of where they are and that the decision on Locker's future has already been made and Whitehurst has had starts, they decide to see what Mett can do. Yes, that likely affects our season (this one) in a negative way and some could see that as tanking the season, but developing a QB for the future is a good thing. If you happen to finish poorly and get a high draft pick out of it...oh well.

Once we are mathematically eliminated, I'd like to see us get other backups playing time to see what they can do in favor of players that may not be here that much longer or players who are grossly overpaid for their production. Again, this could be seen as tanking in the sense that you are probably gonna get less production in the short term (new players tend to make more mistakes), but I'd like to know how Stafford, Huff and Whooten look at S for instance. While it might hurt our chances to win the game, it will help us build for the future (and let us know if we need to keep Griff/Wilson another year or not)

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

It has happened in the NBA so much which is why they went to the draft lottery so the last placed team was not guaranteed the best pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar