Do teams have 'scouts' for NFL players?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Basically, this question came up because of Ruston Webster's failures at picking up quality FAs, and the new FA combine that they are starting this year.

We all know that NFL teams employ scouts to take a very detailed look at college players leading up to the draft process. They attend games, watch tape, and study tons of players to try to gain an advantage when picking them in the draft.

But do NFL teams employ scouts to do the same for other NFL players? And if not, why not?

I know the coaches/GM will probably watch some tape, and bring them in to talk or workout or whatever, but It seems like it would be just a useful to get the same type of analysis on potential FAs as it would on college players.

Scouts should be studying all potential FA players during the season, learning about their strengths and weaknesses and who might be the best fit for the scheme. Or who might be the best 'bang for the buck'

We always here about coaches wanting to bring in a player, but how much time do they really have to study these FAs during the season? Probably very little.

WHo knows, maybe they already do this, and I just haven't heard about it...

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Youre asking if there's such a thing as pro scouts? Yes, there are guys keeping tabs on veteran free agents.

Also, this is not the first time NFL vets workout in front of a crowd. Vets have been sneaking into pro days and regional combines for years.

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I think a big way they keep track of guys is having them in for a workout. You hear it a lot during the season "The Titans worked out John Doe today." Basically they are updating their files for certain positions so if someone goes down they know the guy they want at his position.

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'm looking forward to the new veteran combine.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Brian Gardner | Pro Scouting Coordinator
    Wes Slay | Pro Scout

I would assume their job is to scout pro players (NFL, CFL, etc)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar