Do The Titans still totally embrace a ball control offensive strategy?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

With most of the points coming off of home runs yesterday combined with the release of all the "battering ram" type backs in preseason do you think the mindset is evolving or did the team just exploit home-run opportunities with Oakland?

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I'd say ball control is still in the lifeblood of any Jeff Fisher team.

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I think it's the latter. As long as our D is solid, ball control is the best strategy.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think they'll look for home run opportunities on the ground and in the air. They're obviously going to feed CJ, so that's Fisherball right there, but it's undeniable Young's emerging strength is the deep ball and playaction. So I think that says they're staying true to themselves and simply expanding on the concept. Keep drives alive, keep opposing offenses off the field, and look to score points whenever you can. It's like, science and religion can mutually exist.

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Totally? No. If they Totally Embraced the ball control strategy, by virtue of fallacy, Vince Young would be more restricted. You can tell that they have really opened up the playbook for him. He's making passes that I would have cringed at him attempting his rookie season. We will always embrace ball control and defense as the core strategy, but it's only fitting that we become more aggressive with the evolution of VY.

6. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

As long as Fisher is the Coach we will always be a Defense oriented team and one who runs the ball to kill the clock. Nothing has changed. And Vince is no passing "threat". Brady and Manning are passing threats, VY will never be that.

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I don't think Fish is ever going to stop trying to rebuild the 1999-2000 team. As VY gets more synced and comfy he's looking more and more like Mc9. He's still searching for that Wycheck.

Sports analysts insist every year that teams advance in the playoffs with a solid running game with the occasional pass play to keep defenses on their toes... an infallible recipe for success, they say; yet the Big Dance usually goes to the best arm and receiving corps (and no, I don't wanna hear about the friggin Bucs- we all know that was an anomaly).

It's all about adjustment, IMO. Sometimes it seems like Fish will not let go of the run and clock control no matter how bad it might be failing against any given defense. VY may have redefined clock control with his game-winning final drive vs. Arizona last year; sometimes you need points on the board more than you need to win a TOP battle.

I certainly hope VY continues to improve as a pocket passer; though i agree with Arcane that he probably will never become a passing "threat".

8. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

They're taking advantage of it, for more homeruns - like Nates TD. Ball control is essential, but we saw in 2009 that we can't always rely on our defense, which is why the offense gotta help by putting more points on the board.

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Fisher will have the Titans running the ball a lot more than throwing the ball. It is nice having a RB knowing that every time he touches it he could break it.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

At this point in Fisher's coaching career he's not getting away from Fisherball. If it were up to him, he'd run 40x a game. It's Mike Heimerdinger who's the one creating these plays for Vince and C.J..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar