Do The Titans still totally embrace a ball control offensive strategy?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I disagree. I think Fisher realizes the days of winning games 13-10 or having your kicker kick 6 FGs are essentially over. The Titans have invested in better WRs, TEs and RBs with the idea they have to score more points to be competitive. I think it is obvious. They drafted CJ, not exactly like Eddie George on paper coming out. They traded up for Cook. The signed Washington and drafted Britt.

Now this offense won't ever be a pass happy offense with a QB getting 300+ yards every game. But they do realize you can't dink, dunk and pound the ball to beat the better teams. Mainly if you look around the AFC the teams we have to beat are very strong on offense. You might slow Brady, Manning or Shaub down some on Sunday but you normally can't hold those teams to 13 points or less. The offense is and has to be geared to scoring over 21 points.

Also, it isn't easy to simply hand the ball off and sustain long drives. Even if you get a few first down you find yourself punting or trying to kick a long FG. If you can hit a few big plays a game either through the air or with CJ you can keep pace and put yourself in a good place to win the game.

The other issue is what do you do if you have a ball pounding offense and for whatever reason you fall behind by a few TDs. Then what?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think we'll ever see Young take more than two shots down the field with 25+ yard passes if the game is close but the threat is what is important. Teams have to respect that the Titans can make a big play enough to keep it in the back of their minds.

I think the true test will be whenever the Titans are down by a couple of touchdowns and need to put up some points quickly.

My concern is that Fisher will go uber conservative if the defense continues to play well and he feels he needs only 17 points to win a game.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

...which might work fine in regular season but after 17 weeks of it the team doesn't know how to go out and win the game. Waiting for the other team to lose isn't much of a strategy.

If there's one great thing that 12-step programs teach it's how to recognize when your solutions aren't working.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

My concern is Fisher won't trust his QB to win him games if needed. Heck, I doubt he will let his QB throw a pass in the redzone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar