Do we need a big tall receiver?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

There is an interesting article:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...-can-play-big?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Talks about how none of our receivers are over 6-2, which make them by definition a "small receiver". Obviously we have Kenny Britt but he's injured. The article makes note that teams with a big receiver tend to get touchdowns more.

Some of us talked about not needing a big receiver because they get injured all the time. What do you guy think? Would you opt for a big tall receiver or do you put more value at route running and speed?

2. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Personally I do not think we need a big tall WR because we already have them on our team. We just need them to step up and play to their potential.

By that I mean we have big TEs that could be viable in passing situations, namely Jared Cook (we have Thomson but he's a project at best right now). I think Jared just have to play to his potential and we will be fine.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jared Cook is our big tall receiver, and NO we don't need to add another tall guy, we'd be better off adding a football player like Kendall Wright if we do want to add players.

If you get a big guy just to have a big guy what do you really have? Measurables end up getting you in trouble when you put them first.

4. KelvisKblam

KelvisKblam TITANic Nerd

I wanted us to go after a big, tall WR in the draft for insurance/replacement for KB, sort of a physical clone of him of possible. A deep threat needs to be able to snatch balls over the heads of DBs. We have plenty of shorter, slot-type WRs, we don't need a bunch of Nate clones. I hope Wright proves me wrong (pun intended), but I thought WR was deep in the last draft & was hoping we'd grab a tall WR somewhere in rounds 2-4. I watch a lot of Big 10 football, and guys like Nick Toon and BJ Cunningham had my interest. And personally, I don't lend much credence to the notion that tall WRs are injured more than shorter ones.

5. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Good points. But if a Calvin or Andre Johnson type player is out there in the draft wouldn't you pick them over a wes welker player?

6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Pretty sure Peyton set some records with a stable of small receivers. Brady has too.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

you cant miss in that scenerio.

8. JCBRAVE

The only time height should matter is if two guys are neck and neck in everything else.

9. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

I guess I'm worried about our TD production and the article notes that a big receiver is a great attribute to increase that stat.

10. JCBRAVE

A goal line RB would be good too, Jamie Harper?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar