Do we really need a #1 WR? A look back at 1999.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wplatham, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Well...Dyson was our #1 the year previous, if I remember correctly [last time we have taken a WR at #1] and he was the most productive from a TD standpoint.

We had 15 TDs through the air then versus 9 this past year. So the air game was much better in 99 than 07 obviously.

If VY can reverse the TD:INT ratio we get there I think.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Uhh...

Indianapolis Colts + Marvin = 1 ring.
    Saint Louis Rams + Holt = 1 ring.
    Dallas Cowboys + Michael Irvin = 3 rings

and on and on...

Green Bay Packers with Walker
    San Francisco 49ers with that Rice guy.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

you just said what I was about to say....

4. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

You forgot

New York Giants + Plaxico = 1 ring.

5. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

I guess the overall point of this thread is....would a #1 be a good thing.....yes.....do you have to have one to win the SB.....no.

Is anyone on our team a potential no. 1.....no.

But Chris Johnson can add value....teams can not continue to spy on Vince if Chris is in the game which I think he will be quite often. I think Chris J and Chris H and Chris J and Lendale will be on the field quite a bit with Johnson in the slot. You can not spy on Vince and Johnson....at least I hope you can't.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I was going to mention them, but felt their defense was more of the difference.
    But yeah! Throw them in there too! haha

7. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

^ Still. They technically have a #1 WR.

8. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Marvin - 1 is an underachievment. They should have had 2 or 3. Not a head case.
    St. Louis - They had a decent defense and they had 2 #1 WRs. Neither were head cases.
    Cowboys - Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin plus a good defense. Irvin was just a part of the puzzle.
    Walker - What ring? Javon Walker hasn't won anything.
    Rice - Different time, balanced offense, great defense.

IMO, we need a guy who produces better than anyone did this year, but we can't have a nutcase. Besides, if VY does better, we could build a decent passing attack with our currnet WRs.

9. wg53

wg53 Starter

The term "#1 WR" is a term used by people who lack an understanding of the game of football.

It is so overrated.

There are very few WRs who actually fit the term to begin with and all this football lightweights around here think that there is one around every corner...we just haven't found them yet. When in real life there are barely a handful of them in the league, not one single WR in this draft was worth a first round pick, not to mention that we have Heimerdinger back who is great at developing WRs.

10. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Then do it.

Or are "you" just that busy. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar