Do we really need a #1 WR? A look back at 1999.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wplatham, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

A #1 is obviously helpful, but you have to have at least a couple of high quality guys. We don't have 1 guy that would have started at the #2 slot on any of the last 10 Super Bowl winning teams. Our starters got cut by teams that didn't make the playoffs. We had no playmakers at the WR or RB position last year-guys that if you put the ball in their hand they could make a guy miss and go the distance, or a guy you could throw a 50/50 ball up to and feel confident they could come down with. That is where my frustration lies--it wouldn't take much to upgrade, but we have yet to do it.

2. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

I think it's you guys that conflate #1 WR with Elite WR. Yes, there's only a handful of Elite WR's, but there are a bunch of receivers who are go-to guys for their team.

Here's the top 34 in yds from last year--34 players here per only 32 teams in the league (and I think there are 25 teams represented here), and even if you hate Vince, you can't hate him enough to say the Falcons and the Bills are blatantly superior at the QB position:

1 Reggie Wayne IND
    2 Randy Moss NE
    3 Chad Johnson CIN
    4 Larry Fitzgerald ARI
    5 Terrell Owens DAL
    6 Brandon Marshall DEN
    7 Braylon Edwards CLE
    8 Marques Colston NO
    8 Roddy White ATL
    10 Torry Holt STL
    11 Wes Welker NE
    12 Tony Gonzalez KC
    13 Bobby Engram SEA
    14 Jason Witten DAL
    15 T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN
    16 Jerricho Cotchery NYJ
    17 Kevin Curtis PHI
    18 Kellen Winslow CLE
    19 Derrick Mason BAL
    20 Donald Driver GB
    21 Plaxico Burress NYG
    22 Joey Galloway TB
    23 Steve Smith CAR
    24 Dwayne Bowe KC
    25 Antonio Gates SD
    26 Bernard Berrian CHI
    27 Shaun McDonald DET
    28 Santonio Holmes PIT
    29 Greg Jennings GB
    30 Anquan Boldin ARI
    31 Andre Johnson HOU
    32 Lee Evans BUF
    33 Roy Williams DET
    34 Santana Moss WAS

There's very few elite receivers here. But there are a bunch of #1s, and guys you have some confidence throwing the ball to. And to act like it's some miracle to find one and have him be productive--and thus never take a shot at drafting one, is retarded.

(Marvin Harrison and Hines Ward are the guys that come to mind as not being on this list)

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

It just sucks that there are no titans on that list

4. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

You realize there are half a dozen Tight Ends on that list and we just traded for a Pro Bowler. I think the FO thought he would be a fairly nice "Go To Guy" for us.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

Crumpler was a good pickup, but we still need a WR (or 2) that defenses respect.

6. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Randy Moss type player was not available, just was used as a example, use your imagination a little.

How can you say that not one of them was available in the Draft??? When have you seen Sweed, Davis, Hardy, Kelly, Manningham, etc, etc....... play in the NFL. Hell, in last year's draft aside from Calvin Johnson, those guys looked no more spectecular than the WR's in this years draft. ( First round WR's-- Ted Ginn, Jr.#9, Dwayne Bowe #23, Robert Meachem #27, Craig Davis #30, Craig Who??????)

Dwayne Bowe looks like he may be the truth, a #1 WR, and you're going to tell me that coming out of college he looked head and shoulders better than the guys in this years draft, I think not. If he was going this year, he would have been in the second round with the rest of the ones taken this year.

My point is, just like we have to wait and see what CJ is going to do as our #1 draft choice, the same goes for the WR's taken in this years draft. We could have let a #1 WR pass us up in the second round.

7. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Dinger being back is the biggest addition to the team no doubt, but just how in the blue blazes do you know that he would not have turned one of the good WR's in this draft into our true #1??,

And dude, the term #1 WR is a true one, no matter how many fit the description. To act like such a thing does not exist, would show that you have that lack of understanding about the game of football which you mentioned.

8. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I do not disagree that drafting WRs is a crapshoot, and I also think that CJ could make a difference. What is known is that our WRs are a BIG weakness on this team. I can't think of another team that has worse starting WRs, yet we have done nothing in the past two offseasons to address the problem. I think that is where the frustration is coming from. Not a knock on any of the moves that we have made, but at some point, we have to improve the WR position if we are going to be serious contenders.

9. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

I agree whole heartedly.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I think that we're stuck with what we've got, at this point. MR the idiot and Fisher want to see all of them under a new OC. It could take another year for them to upgrade the position, and I seriously doubt that they will considering Dinger's luck with recievers. Dinger does make recievers look amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar