Do you think the league should punish players for actions DURING the lockout?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Architect, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Architect

Architect Pain Train

There were quite a few incidents league wide where players getting in trouble/during the lockout. Do you think the league should "protect the shield" and punish/ suspend these players? Legally, I think if the league does punish players a major can of worms could potentially be opened. Personally I think they SHOULD NOT be punished considering they were not employees of the league. These players should only have to deal with the judicial system like the rest of us for incidents that occurred during the lockout. The league cant have their cake and eat it too, lock players out and not pay them but still hold them to the conduct policy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-against-players-arrested-during-the-lockout/

2. Shanvhere

Shanvhere Elite

No

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Yes, unless they were previously released they still had a contract. Therefore, they were employed. I am a teacher, off in the summer, if I did something during that time I would be held accountable. The part of your argument about not being paid during the lockout doesn't hold water, NFL players are only paid game weeks.

4. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Incorrect. As part of their contract they are paid for working out and the offseason practices... During the lockout they were not allowed to work out at the facility and practices werent held... so they were paid. Part of their contract wasnt honored... still dont think they should be punished

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Since we have a player that would be effected, I'm saying NO.

6. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Depends on what they did. One thing that really bothers me is the NFL punishing people for things they haven't been convicted of. Just because you are arrested or charged with a crime doesn't mean you are guilty of that crime. For example, Pacman Jones was suspended for a whole season for being a "person of interest" in a club shooting. He wasn't even charged with ANY crime when he was suspended. As big of a idiot as Pacman was in that period of time, Goodell had no right to do that imo. A whole season? That was BS.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The league maybe shouldn't. The teams, however, should.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

No I am not incorrect. I think you are making a stretch to say the pay is the workout cash. The players are paid 17 paychecks, I believe it is the first workday after each game. What ever $$ they get for the workouts would be very, very small in comparison. But even if you want to count the small, for them, bump in $$$ they are still under contract.

9. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

Agree with this. Should be a team-by-team basis.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Here's how contracts are broken down. Lets use Tulluch in Detroit as an example. Tully signed for one year $3.25 million contract. He'll lose $1,235,000 just paying taxes. If you miss a game, you are not paid that week. However going on IR lets you get paid in full for the season. Certain bonuses are paid during the off season, like roster bonuses, and workout bonuses.

38% IRS
    4% Agent
    $10k+ Union Dues

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar