Do you think the league should punish players for actions DURING the lockout?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Architect, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Let them pay the penalty, whether it's a fine or game suspension... whatever. They can either do that or go back to "not being employees". I'm sorry folks, I can't empathize with this crap. Aqib Talib, Kenny Britt, Hines Ward... I don't care who it is. Take your licks and be sure not to let it happen again. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars. Being civil and maintaining common decency shouldn't be too much to ask.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'll give you that. Maybe Kenny getting suspended for a game or whatever will make him realize that he needs to STAY OUT OF JERSEY!

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree for the most except it should happen AFTER they are found guilty. And I already think the policy is arbitrary enforced so I guess it should come as no surprise to have it enforced when the players were not considered employees. :rolleyes:

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Unfortunately for these guys, the guilty are usually found not guilty. I think the NFL, and justifiably so, can be more concerned with the court of public opinion rather than the court of law. Let's just be honest here and admit that is what they really care about. More so than any outcome of a judicial hearing. The brand is diminished to a far greater degree when the player is arrested and charged than whenever the judge and/or jury finds a verdict. Too often players pay lawyers heaps of money for bogus continuances that serve to delay what might be thought of as the inevitable. Then a new judge is appointed and the case gets thrown out because it just doesn't seem relevant. If these guys can circumvent the process because of the depth of their pockets they can at least bow to their masters that provide them with this elite power.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Their income doesn't mean they should be denied equal rights to due process. And there has never been any evidence that the current conduct policy is effective at reducing the crime rates by players or that the crime has tangible effects on the amount of revenue the league produces.

I might even be able to stomach a conduct policy that punishes off of allegations if it were more than one man directing the administration of the policy. Currently, we have one man who is judge, jury and the appellate. To be even remotely fair, it should be a committee decision and equally represented by current players, past players and ownership.

And don't knock our current legal system. Good lawyers do help their clients better than bad ones. And yes, it is unfortunate that the good ones are usually more expensive. But there are good lawyers that work inexpensively. There is pro bono representation. And some good attorneys do take cases on without expecting to be paid. Our court system isn't perfect, but it is one of the best in the world in regards to protection of personal liberties and administration of justice.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

One thing that has never sat well with me is the fact that Goodell is the jury and judge on these matters.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think the vast majority of fans would agree with you on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar