Do you think Vince Young is a good thrower?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goawayschwartz, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

guess i missed the memo....since when our quarterbacks like, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Marc Bulger, Matt Leinart, Jake Delhomme, Brett Favre, Carson Palmer, and (if you want to go college) Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Eric Ainge, and John David Booty.....becoming extinct? that statement made no sense, when the only good scrambling qbs in the NFL right now are Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, and Vince Young. 9 pocket qbs off the top of my head, 7 of the 9 i know have been to the probowl, 3 of the 9 i know are hall of famers, 3 of them have 1 superbowl ring or more, and all of them had outstanding seasons last year. then on the other side you have, 3 great scrambling qbs, all probowlers, none of them for sure hall of famers, none of them have a superbowl ring, only 1 of them have been to the superbowl.......becoming extiinct? i think not.

now im not trying to say vince young will never be successfull, im just trying to ask, where did you get the idea pocket qbs were becoming extinct? the young scrambling qbs that arnt stars already but could become are that guy from the vikings, Tim Teebow, and Troy Smith from ohio state, so even if pocket qbs were becoming extinct....who would take there place??? Pocket QB's are not diminishing in the national football league and most likely will not in many years to come. saying scrambling qbs are better suited to win a championship then pocket qbs or vise versa, is ridiculous and irreleavent. (spell check)

2. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Yeah, what DC said- that's just awful, man.

If anything, Mike Vick has proven that no matter how fleet of foot a QB is, he's not going to make it without serious passing ability.

3. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Pit Bull-
    I'm admittedly lost now. I think you misunderstood me, and I you, and now we've got a ******* on our hands. I doubt if we're in too much disagreement, so I'll drop it.

One thing I do want to clear up- I'm NOT that big of a Manning fan. My favorite QB is Brett Favre, my 2nd favorite is probably Purdue grad Drew Brees, and my favorite of all time is Young....Steve Young.

I'm a Peyton fan by default. So try to keep that in mind when you get the notion that I'm "all Peyton, all the time." Just not the case.

I do love how he manages a game. I think that's the most like-able and impressive aspect of his game. His attitude can bother me and times, and despite a few key plays, I'm still waiting to see the "grit" that an all-time great QB needs.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Brady Quinn can run. He's no Vick, but he's fast. He can use his legs when he needs to. And unless a team wants to invest far too much in to protecting a qb (the colts), they're going to be a thing of the past.
    Palmer is just about the only young guy that's good and is strictly a pocket qb. The others are dime-a-dozen.

5. all u have to kno is that VY wins games and Peyton has to have his team win games (in the playoffs) did Peyton win a national championship?? was Peyton 8-5 as a rookie in the nfl?? did peyton go to the pro bowl as a rookie, did peyton win ROY?????

NO

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Peyton's only chance at ever winning in the postseason was for his team to carry him, because we knew he couldn't carry his team when the pressure was on.
    And luckily for him, that happened. Now people think the monkey's off his back. It may be, as long as his supporting cast continues to show up like that every year in the playoffs. Otherwise, I don't see why he isn't the same ol' guy.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I believe VY lost the first game against the Jags very convincingly, and the second game the defense won the game for us. While you may not believe Peyton "won" some games, he managed not to lose them, which is just as important. VY will learn that too. There is not a QB in the NFL that studies more game film than Peyton, or has his knowledge of the game. I believe even VY would concede that. I would wait until this year is over before I would rank Vince even close to Peyton. Last year he took the league by surprise, I don't think it will be so easy this year. He will have to step his game up also.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

Any comparison between VY and Peyton is not only ridiculous, but also wildly premature. We're talking about apples and oranges, both in terms of playing style, strengths, and experience.

Here's my prediction: ststistically speaking, VY will never be as great a passer as Peyton Manning. I feel safe saying this, since Manning is one of the best passers in the history of the game. Most of the QB's in Canton pale in comparison to Manning. As Peyton himself says, "Hey....that guy's pretty good".

On the other hand, Manning will never ever be the dual-threat QB that VY is. (Purists generally pooh-pooh the idea of a running QB, but NFL defensive coordinators would disagree. Who you gonna believe?)

Manning can throw for 400 yards and still the Colts get blown out. If teams can contain his receivers, Manning is neutralized.

Vince, OTOH, is a guy who can throw for less than 100 yards, yet still play a prominent role in winning the game. Manning can't do that.

Like I said, apples and oranges.

Does VY need to improve? Absolutely. He's still got a long way to go. However, he made enormous strides over the course of a single season, and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that he's already peaked.

Historically speaking, a QB's first season as a starter is usually the worst of his career. Chances are, what we've seen of VY is the worst we'll ever see. He'll become increasingly more comfortable as a pocket passer, and the coaches will refine his mechanics for a more consistent and accurate release.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Manning, Brady, and Montana weren't rookie sensations. Heck, Steve Young was a <60% passer until his fifth year in the NFL, and it seems like he turned out okay.

We've seen an awful lot of good from VY, but a lot of room for growth, as well. Fortunately, he's got a lot of years in front of him, and plenty of time to grow.

Just make sure you've got plenty of popcorn, 'cuz it's gonna be one heck of a show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar