Does anyone collect football cards?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Broken Arrow, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

That is funny- my cards are still at my parents house too in my old room.

2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I remember seeing several Nolan Ryan cards in my old collection. Probably reprints or something though. I'll take a look soon and see what I have.

I looked on ebay... People have some cards listed for $250k. Lol. Come on now. This isn't a painting done by a dead artist. These things can be printed over and over.

3. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Mine are also at my parents house in the storage room. Lol

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I was a big collector in the early/mid-90s. I tried to get back into it a few years back but it only lasted a few weeks. It's fun opening the packs but you ultimately end up feeling like you're just wasting your money lol.

Best card I ever pulled out of a pack was a Michael Jordan gold card. It was worth like $400 at the time.

5. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I would buy vending cases, and then pick through every last card, and then complete sets, put them into data bases, and trade for rarer and older cards. The best deals I got from collectors were random unknown players to complete their sets. I mean obscure players that just had a number on the back. Late 70's and early 80's. Of course I bought every series available for baseball. One of my favorites was the Donruss opening day set 1987. It contained all of the starting players for opening day only! I have them all. Cool stuff (and worth $20 lol). After 92 when I stopped collecting, I think card makers realized that by making cards rarer was the way to go, but I was out of the game at that point. You guys have me wanting to go home and pile through them again- especially my albums of greats (Nolan Ryan collection at the top). Too bad most of my collection is during the steroid era......

#15 Hormesis, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Let me look at your Ryan cards, I am kind of an expert, and if you have legitimate cards, they do hold value. 1968 rookie year with Koosman next to him- anything from 79 down is a good card- Hell I might be interested in them if they are pre 1980........ I have a 77' Highlight card that I would like to replace.

#16 Hormesis, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  7. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

Interesting that I said go "home" and look at them.... I have a 2 year old sleeping with my wife to be in the back, and I still consider my mothers house home. Strange... Nostalgia I guess.

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I gave up on the notion that card collecting represented any sort of good investment pretty early on. As stated above most (99.999999%) of the cards produced these days hold very little value over the long term. It's healthy to geek out over something silly in life... as long as you go into it with little expectations of return value, collecting cards is kinda fun and ultimately pretty harmless.

In addition to a ton of vintage and contemporary autos and rookie cards of assorted random fave players, I have every Houston Oiler card issued from 1960 to 1994, and I also have to my knowledge the only complete set of all NFL licensed cards issued for Steve McNair in 1995 (his rookie year)... none of the Oiler/McNair cards are incredibly valuable, nor do any represent a fabulous investment, but was it a fun challenge putting them together, and they represent some of the favourite and personally valuable pieces in my collection.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. RTH

RTH Meh...

I bought all the Image Comics #1 Variants... all of them! My retirement was set back in the 90s!

Hmm... come to think of it, I haven't really looked into their value since the early 90s... BET THEY'RE WORTH HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS!!

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The only football card you'll ever need. (other than Greg Cook)..
    Did you know that Dick Lebeau actually was a stunt double for Michael Caine in an action movie in the 70's?

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar