Does the Warner deal shed light on what McNair may sign for?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

"The Cardinals signed Kurt Warner to a three-year contract, ending speculation about their quarterback plans. ESPN.com reported the deal was for $18 million and could be worth up to $24 million..."

I've not found details on how Warner's deal breaks down but is it reasonable to expect this may influence McNair's deal? I'd venture to guess McNair will be offered in the range of $7 mil per year on a three-year deal.
  2. LazyManJackson

LazyManJackson Starter

i think this kurt warner deal might mean an increase in the deal, if Warner is signing for a three year deal, look for Mcnair's contract to be up to a three year deal maybe more
  3. maximus

maximus Camp Fodder

Do you think McNair will stick around for 3 more years? I dont see McNair staying around to be a backup. If McNair really feels like playing 3 more years, then QB is not a priority in this draft. We can use picks in other areas. Signing McNair to a deal that knowing that he wont play that long only slows us getting out of salary cap crap
  4. LazyManJackson

LazyManJackson Starter

I still think Mcnair will stick around for a few more years even as a backup, maybe the Titans want him around so that he can give a good influence to the QB we will get... which is Vince Young
  5. TitanJeff

I don't know the point of resigning McNair if they don't play on extending him for three more seasons. They could just pay the $1 mil bonus and take the hit now (as Reese said the team was prepared to do).

I assume the deal would be structured so that the Titans could release McNair after the '07 season without absorbing a ton of dead money. He stays the #1 for '06 and possibly into '07. I think that changes based on his health and who the Titans take at #3.
  6. TM

TM Starter

Warner got 7M for 06.
  7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I am probably wrong but doesn't his deal have to be redone before the draft?
  8. LazyManJackson

LazyManJackson Starter

Mcnair will probably stick around for the 08 season, however his contact will have to be cut down a lot to keep him till then
  9. TitanJeff

Yep. I think it has to happen by March 1. Not 100% sure though. So the Titans won't know if they have Leinart or Young. I think this means the Titans will try to sign McNair three years but have it structured so they could release him (or he retires) after the '07 season.
  10. maximus

maximus Camp Fodder

Can you explain McNairs bonus options found in his current contract
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.