Does the Warner deal shed light on what McNair may sign for?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

From what I understand, the $1 mil buyout keeps McNair here for one more season. His base would be $9 mil. But it hurts the cap more because the pro-rated bonus was spread out until the '09 season which makes this a $14.5 mil hit to the cap in '06.

What I'm not sure of is whether any dead money remains after the '06 season if they decide to release McNair. Starkiller can help you better than I here.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

what is the cap money or dead money if they don't resign him. I would imagine he would still count towards the cap since he has redone his contract a few times

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I see know reason to keep McNair more than one year if we draft Young. Why do we want to have two QBs eating up CAP space? Reese will go with the 1.0 million option, take the CAP hit and not have to carry McNair's salary any longer than he has to. McNair's refusal to take a big cut in pay makes the decision a no brainer IMO. McNair's best days are behind him and why pay a guy 10 million a year in those circumstances?

4. Because he is Mint

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

mint: great condition (That's mint, mate.)

some might say the best shape of his life...:suspect:

I have my doubts about McNair in Chow's system.
    The offensive scheme does not play to McNairs strenths.
    I can not imagine McNair putting in three quality seasons.

If he was smart he'd stick around until the cows come home and ride Vince Young's coat tails to a Super Bowl win. Nothing wrong with being like Neil Odonnell...:hmm:(I guess)... anyway, that's how he got back to a Super Bowl...(riding coat tails, I mean) McNair deserves a ring. I'd love to see him get it.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Oh that's good. :ha:

7. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

It is in the best interest of the team to bring him back...and to give him a deal similar to Warner's. He is about all we have as far as a veteran leader goes, he knows the offense and would perform better in it than a rookie or some other team's reject we would bring in as a FA. That, plus the fact that Volek has more trade value leaves us little choice...if we want more than 4-5 wins...Fisher certainly needs more! How about 3 years...$24 million...$9 million bonus and salaries of $1 million in 2006 (he gets the $10 million in 2006 like he and his agent want and we save $10 million in cap room vs. the one year option), $7 million in 2007 and $7 million in 2008 with 2008 not guaranteed. If he retires after the 2007 season, there is only $3 million in dead $$. Therefore, the deal is really a two year $17 million deal. Not cheap, but not Manning or McNabb $$ either.

8. we need to keep mcnair, i think just so that when we get vince he can guide him and all

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

It's all up to McNair. He saw what happened to Eddie "Art Council" George.

10. Funny ennit :ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar