Does this mean no Caravan?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goforit, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goforit

goforit Guest

According to what I could find out about the not-so well publicized caravan in knoxville: From the news sentinel:

In addition to the normal format, this year's caravan will feature the "Join the Team" initiative of the Titans and the National Football League.

"Join the Team is all about getting people to do what they can to help others in their community," Titans owner Bud Adams said in a press release. "This tie-in with the Titans Caravan is a natural because we designed the Caravan as a chance to reach out to the great fans that support us across the region."

As part of the initiative, there will be four Titans Join the Team Community Kickoff Luncheons that will help benefit the United Way. The luncheons will be hosted by Mike Keith, the voice of the Titans.

Oak Ridge will host one of the four luncheons on May 12 at the Oak Ridge City Center from 11:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m.

Knoxville will host part of the Join the Team initiative when the Caravan stops at the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Tennessee Valley on May 11. The crew, along with student volunteers from local high schools, will work on projects designed by the clubs.

Bob Hyde, vice president of community relations for the Titans, has been a part of all nine caravans and says each year the organization looks for ways to improve the caravan.

"This isn't a come and hang out party, it's a work party," said Hyde of the Titans' volunteer work planned at the Boys and Girls Club. "When we come there, we want people to say 'oh yeah, this is what they did.'

"We want to help them with a need that they didn't have the work force for."

Does this mean that Knoxville and the surrounding communities will not really have a Caravan. I really don't think that is improving. Every year I look forward to the caravan. it is my only chance to meet the players I might not ever get a chance to see. I very seldom get to go to a game As far as I can tell Knoxville is the only stop where they have "Join the Team." Even Oak Ridge is getting ripped off. They have to pay to go to the luncheon. It also seems like they have cut a lot of ciited out in East TN this year as compared to years past. It looks as though hardly anyone in this area gets a caravan.

2. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

According to this, there will be a Join the Team lunch in Oak Ridge on May 12th. There's a number at the top of the page to call for tickets.

3. goforit

goforit Guest

Thanks for the info Sunshine but the luncheon in Oak Ridge is a pay thing just like a couple others in the caravan this year. It just looks like a lot of EastTennessean's are out of luck this year on the Not the dirty end of the deal this year, not a lot of stops and no Titans.

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I think you're right goforit. It doesn't look like there will be a free stop in Knoxville like we've had in years past.

5. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Not as out of luck as Middle TN fans have been the last two years. There havent been any stops here the last two years. I guess they figured that we get enough chances to meet players during the season. Which is understandable, but still disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar