Don’t expect Titans to use tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I like McCourty, but he isn't worth that contract. I said it the minute he signed it. I was happy to hear we locked him up... then I saw the contract numbers and was pretty shocked.

It's contracts like this that separate the good teams from the bad ones... like the Craig Stevens deal. Awful. Delanie Walked got a similar contract and he's 100 times the player Stevens is.

Like I said, I like McCourty, but he doesn't do anything special at corner. His coverage is great, but he doesn't take advantage of it. If he would react better to the receiver and actually turn around to make a play on the ball he would be worth the money.

I find myself screaming at the games and at the TV "TURN AROUND" while the ball is in the air because it's an easy pick waiting to happen.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I assume you mean agents and no scouts.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Look at the entire contract. He'll only be 27 when the regular season begins. If he continues to improve and stays healthy, the money he gets in 2016 and 2017 will be a steal.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

1. New owner, new GM, new everything.

I dont see what AH/JC/anybodyelsebeforethisyear have to do with anything? Next time you get a new job, do you want all of the past woes of the bad employee you replaced blamed on you so you can carry out that stigma?

no

We can slow down on the "this organization" talk imo. The entire thing is different than it was when we made, what could be considered, big mistakes.

2. JMc vs Verner. I like verner, but lets not pretend he cant get 10 million a year next season. Every team has overpaid players, so that happens. If every team could predict the future, every team would be awesome. Jmac is a solid CB, and it could get a lot worse. His pay, is also not as bad as some of you suggest. His cap hit is ranked 13th in the league next season among QB's (as stated earlier as well by TJ)

Jmac isnt someone who sucks, who is getting overpaid. Hes a solid CB who is getting slightly overpaid. Ill take it considering some of the alternatives. We were also ranked 21st in sacks this past season (going from memory, feel free to double check) Improve this pass rush, and our secondary gets even better.

So to keep this somewhat interesting, how much are you guys willing to pay Verner to stay?

Since he is so much better than Jmc, it starts at 8 million. How high are you guys willing to go, to keep him? Do you pay him shutdown corner money? Someone else offers him 10 million a year (or even 11), do you match it? Then if he cant match his production this season, are you going to be complaining that he is overpaid?

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

If we pay him and he has an even slightly down year the "overpaid" crew will be on here b*tching and complaining like they always do when a guy gets paid.That includes the people that are currently begging for u to lock him up; they'll develop amnesia and pretend it was a bad deal all along.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Nicely said, but as for this new regime doing things differently, lets see it.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I fully expect the Raiders and Jags to handsomely over pay for a few guys considering they have 60 and 50 million of cap room space respectively.

From a front office standpoint, I think we were planning ahead by spending a 3rd on on a CB last yr. If we can't sign Verner long term then pick up a vet for cheap and draft another CB this yr and let the competition for the starting spot begin.

I really hope we can somehow keep Verner though because I'd love to have the continuity in the secondary. We know the front 7 is going to be learning a totally new system. Would be nice to know the secondary is already set with their communication.

8. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

9. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

He'll want some major cash, and I like the way we handled Finnegan by having him in his prime then letting another team over pay for him when he was past it. Would not like to see Finnegan back, just because I think he's lost a step.

Why would you want an older Finnegan over someone else like Tracy Porter, who is younger, faster, and probably cheaper than Finnegan RockyTop Fox? I don't mean to be rude by asking this but just curious..

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar