Don’t expect Titans to use tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Well my theory in the present day NFL is you don't pay for Shut down corners since they can't exist in today's NFL. I would pay TOP dollar for people to put the QB on his ass. As seen in the SB if any QB (manning) is getting hit and harassed then they will be average at best. Casey is a MUST sign, verner while I like him I wouldn't pay the kind of money he will get.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I think this is more CAP:HATE ratio thing

sure everyone hated donnie nickey, but he made vet min or thereabouts so eeeh. But it was a good day when he was cut

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

thats right TENN, just keep letting proven players walk... thats exactly how we get to the playoffs/SB.... at least OFFER him something!!!

Ppl don't understand that you got to keep your good players, and draft younger ones to start elsewhere, that is how you balance the cap. You can't expect to continue replacing ineffective players AND replace good ones, via draft & FA. That's not how it works. Also, our secondary is teh STRONGEST group right now, so rightfully so, PAY THEM. If we then can get a pass rush and decent LB core (like SEA), you will honestly see a most suffocating D.

We don't even have a 100M USD QB, we shouldn't have any problems signing vets. Also, dont forget that with the new CBA rookies don't get 'ish' and players like ATV should get money.

4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

The worst franchise tag as mentioned before was bo scaife for sure. I couldn't stand that guy for the most part. Nothing more than an average TE. I was really hoping we would use the tag on Verner this year. I really like this guy and I think he helps Jmac too. If we do not find an equal replacement for Verner I expect our pass d to go right back down the tubes to maybe a 2012 level. We may have to rely on our Dline to get the job done at this point. Time to start drinking cause next year is not going to change, ugh!

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

You don't pay for past production. Verner just had what will be the best season of his career. Great guy, but he is limited athletically. His upside isn't enough to justify giving him big money on a long-term deal. Gotta let someone else overpay.

Use the Verner money to LOCK UP Casey.

• High Five High Five x 5
  6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think PFF's numbers are often skewed as well and their ranking of #10 is high but NFL.com also has him in the top 15. He has been solid the last two seasons though far from a shutdown corner.

His base next season ranks him at #21 for CB salaries. His cap hit next season takes him to #13. He's not being overpaid.

7. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Seems to me it would be better to sign him at a slight discount now than wait until he has all the cards.

And eff CJ. I'm tired of this franchise being tied by that clown.

8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Is also a matter of timing. You have to keep your vets when, and only when, you have a core of cheap young players that the vets can help push over the top.

Overpaying vets on a bad or mediocre team merely causes cap problems and prevents you from doing what you need to when the time is right.

Basically, until our QB situation is more settled, nothing else matters.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Normally this is true, but Titans paid CJ for past production, he even said "they had to pay me for what I did".

Verner made more plays and IMO will continue making plays. We should keep him.

10. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

Completely agree with this man, I feel like he will be good for another 4 years. I would resign him for a 4 year deal with an option for 5th. He is a great CB and Jmac will get burned without him there. Bye Bye pass D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar