Don’t expect Titans to use tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Todays JMac is twice the receiver the old JMac was

2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

well it doesn't help man if he leaves. J Mac will be our #1 db? I do not like the sound of that!!

3. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

I heard Pat Kirwan say that he thinks no more than 6 teams will use the tag this year. Going to be an interesting free agency

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

If we have the space, we might as well tag Verner. If we don't plan to keep him, why not get something out of him. A team on the verge with an injury would likely pull the trigger.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think with today's NFL cap, this is just unrealistic. McCareins is in the top 15 of corners in the NFL, IMO.

Let's say the Titans didn't extend him and he became a UFA after the 2012 season. The Titans have to fill the job with someone as good or better. The only two UFA CBs who were better than McCourty were:

Brent Grimes
    Aquib Talib

Grimes signed for only a one-year deal for $5.5M because he was coming back from a torn Achilles. I doubt anyone would have risked signing him for longer and he will command a lot more in his next deal. Talib did a one-year for $5M but will get a huge contract this March.

And there is no guarantee the Titans could have gotten either. IMO, every other CB UFA was a step down from McCourty.

Did he get overpaid? Maybe by $1-1.5M a season. But that's the way it works—the first couple of seasons look high then the overall cap rises making the final two look low.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

The drop off between a top 20ish corner and one in the 30s is gigantic. It is not a plug and play position.

7. XO

XO Nevada Native

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Well he has been for a few years now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar