Don't re-sign Haynesworth.. yet.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

incentive laden
    :yes:

2. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

Blazing Arrow, You are exactly right!

Puck, that's what should happen to keep him honest. I don't mind paying him but we should be guaranteed some return on the investment.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

There's valid concerns on both sides. I've been a supporter of the guy from the beginning, but even I wonder if his play will drop off after he gets the big bucks. He's a hard character to figure out.

But maybe the tag does piss him off like it does many others, and then he doesn't want to come back.

My simple answer to this solution....is I don't have one :yes: But I would feel better about locking him up long term earlier than later.

4. jmac1383

jmac1383 Guest

I think we should keep him. But we really need a great back-up. Because there is a good chance he won't be able to play a full season and I would hate to be hurting again.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Rebel, players don't want the franchise tag because all their earnings are in salary and they miss out on that big signing bonus check.

Asante samuel for example had to sit there and watch clements get a $10M check while samuel's whole salary for the year won't be that much and he only gets his money in increments. .

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Here's how it'll play out:

Jan to mid-Feb: Both sides play nice and say the right things to the media. Expect a face-to-face talk just after the Pro Bowl between Reinfeldt and Albert's agent.

Mid-Feb to late-Feb: a few articles trickle out in the paper on how Albert has only produced one season and missed a number of games at that. Albert's agent will do the sports radio shows pointing to the huge offers his client would get is he hits the market along with not denying the possibility of a hold-out if Albert is franchised.

Feb 29 - 11:59 p.m.: Albert is franchised but the Titans promise to do it for only a season. Both sides claim it will allow them to "gauge the market" as other top defenders get deals in the first weeks of free agency.

Early March - Early April: Albert's agent negotiates with other teams. Rumors swirl of someone willing to give up their first rounder in '08 with a second rounder in '09 but it's never proven and Albert goes no where.

April 30: No contract negotiations have happened due to the Titans putting all focus on the draft.

May-June: Albert doesn't come to OTAs. Hold-out rumors for training camp surface. Titans question Albert's commitment, conditioning, etc. Reinfeldt continues to work "behind the scenes". Fans are sick of it as a topic on sports radio. goTitans.com has 14 separate threads on the topic merged into one.

End of July: Training camp begins. Albert is a no-show as his agent pushes for a contract which states the franchise tag will be used for only one season.

Early Aug: With a one-year franchise agreement in place, Albert is back in camp saying all the right things and in good shape. Fisher praises Albert for his conditioning. Both sides put the offseason issues behind them "for the good of the team", etc.

Mid-Oct: If Albert is producing and the Titans winning, I think the contract gets worked out so a happy Albert hopefully plays that way and the Titans get some cap money back to extend Roos and Stewart. If he's hurt again or not getting it done, I think trade talk for Albert before the deadline is a reality.

:yes:

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

You mean like coaching? I'm glad they finally decided to teach him to use his hands after all these years! I don't buy that for a minute.

8. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Franchise him. Five Words: Asante Samuel and Lance Briggs. Both were franchised at the peaks of their value and both will now be signed for significantly less. Nate Clements earned his money with years of high performance. Asante, Briggs and Haynes all had by far their biggest year in their contract years. Franchise Haynesworth and let's see if he can deliver another decent performance. Then by all means resign him midseason.

9. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Yeah...ya just gotta pity poor Samuel only getting his few millions in the little paychecks after every game...

10. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

This seems simple.

If we they can agree upon a long term deal that Al is happy with and doesn't break the bank, we will lock him up for 5-7 years.

If Al and his agent expect the Titans to pay as much as any of the other 31 teams might be willing to pay, then he will be tagged.

It is Al's choice. Either roll the dice that he can play at a high level for another year and likely get a huge payday, or take a big payday now and be done with it without the additional risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar