Draft a DL or CB in first round?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Ericgolonghorns, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ericgolonghorns

Ericgolonghorns Camp Fodder

Assuming the Titans draft defensively in the first round, which position would have the most immediate and effective impact on our defense?

For me not looking at necessarily the players that will be available but just from a field perspective I think the Titans would be benefit most from obtaining a cornerback to pair with our probowl CB. This lineup would effectively take out both sides of the field out of the game for opposing QBs and force mid to deep throws and open up the game for interceptions.

For the past 3 years the CB's picked in the first round have average 3+ INTs with most showing improvement in the second season to 4+ INTs.

With a cornerback like Patrick Robinson falling to the Titans, I think this would be the most logical pick for longterm improvement of the defense.

2. Tru Blu

Tru Blu Hit Em Harder

we need either a big time pass rusher or another CB to play next to Finnegan. I Think for immediate impact a good pass rushing defensive lineman would help since CB is often a tough position to go from college to NFL but i think both needs are pretty equal so i would take whichever DE or CB is the best player when its our time to pick.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I kind of lean toward a three down lineman myself, but if Joe Haden was there, or Earl Thomas could convert to cornerback, I'd have no problem taking a CB in one. Lot of depth on DL in the draft, even though a top pass rusher would be nice.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think the odds favor the pick being a Dlineman for those very reasons, Tru Blu.

5. Tru Blu

Tru Blu Hit Em Harder

you never know Fisher & Reinfeldt love to draft Defensive Backs....but i think a 3 down DE is where we will probably go since we may want to attempt and continue developing McCourty & Mouton

6. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

People need to remember that we drafted 2 CB's in 09......they will both be in their 2nd year in 10. I find it unlikely that another CB will be drafted high. After all, Finnegan was a rookie once and didn't see the field much until his 2nd season either.

The most pressing needs are LB and DL.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'd like to see us take a CB since I think we are currently better off talent-wise on the D-line than the secondary (assuming we lock up Tony Brown). But I'd be happy with either.

Sigh... I hate talking about the draft in January. :(

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Give me Donovan Warren or Brandon Graham. No I'm not a Michigan homer I'm a huge Penn State fan.

Brian Price would be a good pick too if TB isn't resigned or if JJ were to slide outside.

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

It reallly depends who's available at the time. CB, DE, or even LB is needed. Since Bulluck/Tulloch are free agents and David Thornton is going down hill. Yes we have McRath... but that's one guy. A LB is needed but not 1st round in my eyes. I'm liking Joe Haden, but he'll probably be gone Top 10. J. Arenas, P. Robinson, Perrish Cox, and Kyle Wilson will probably be availabe.

I wouldn't mind trading our 1st rounder for a pair of 2nds or a late 1st and 2nd.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Yes we also drafted a DT in the 2nd rounder, who played basically nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar