Draft a Team game: who's in?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by citizenthom, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I find it more than a bit odd that we are doing a fantasy draft (which is as far from reality as we can get) but are keeping several possible coaches from being selected just because they currently don't have a job. I assume free agent PLAYERS are available for us to pick in the players draft, why should coaches be any different?

LOL! WHAT reality? This is fantasy! Are we voting on this stuff or are you the commish and making the call? (I'm fine either way.)

Are rookies players we can select? I assumed if we can take free agents we can take both drafted and undrafted free agents...yes?

I would strongly suggest/vote to be able to trade draft picks. Much like the regular NFL draft, it will cost you to move up and the only question is...was it worth it? If you spend your next 3 picks to move up, then you get one better pick and don't 'draft' another guy for 2 rounds. I'm sure someone on here wants to be Belicheck!

My thing is, the more options we have, the more differentiated our teams will be. The better diversity and that means better discussion!

Gut

2. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

I mean we can vote on this stuff, but I'm concerned about the following regarding your specific ideas:

1. If we allow trades, then how are the teams that lose picks going to fill their rosters? We're only having as many rounds as there are players. It would be unfair to let people trade up and get a bunch of first- and second-round picks but still get a bunch of "compensatory" picks on the back end.

2. I don't like the idea of drafting just-drafted rookies because then you're getting the "hype" vote about their performance instead of having people vote based on their on-the-field performance. And on the flip side, if you have people who are just crazy biased against a certain draft pick, you could get unfair votes going the other way--again, based on pre-draft hype and not results.

Plus, in reality, current rookies aren't in the league anyway because they can't be signed. But that's a secondary issue.

3. Yeah, it's fantasy, but you don't want people being able to G-mod their coaching staffs with guys who aren't even coaching right now. I've never been in a fantasy league where you can draft players who are on TV right now, or in prison, or otherwise out of the league altogether (and yes, there is a difference between those and guys who are just free agents).

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I agree with the no trades rule because it would become awfully hard to manage.

On the other 2, I reckon it's all-in. If someone is stupid enough to draft Cam Newton as their starting QB or Art Shell as their Head Coach - let them at it.

I think the premise should be if every player/coach was all of a sudden a free agent, how would you fill your roster draft style for the 2012 season. There's only about 10 teams participating and 32 starters at each position in the NFL, so if people try and scrape the bottom of the barrel by looking outside of the current starters, then more power to them.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

It's not the Art Shells of the world I'm worried about so much as this: with coaches not currently in the league it's hard to enforce the no-demotion rule. So you might end up with a Tony Dungy as a DC, John Gruden as an OC, etc. I might be more OK with it if we had this rule: you can only pick up ex-head coaches AS head coaches.

As far as the "bottom of the barrel," that's where I worry about adding in the rookies: because really we SHOULD be getting near the low-level starters and OK backups near the bottom of the main draft. Where somebody might normally have to take, say, Carlos Rogers as a third corner, with the rookie rule they could instead take Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara. And then they'd get the benefit of the ASSUMPTION that those guys are really high-quality when we just don't know yet.

Maybe we could do rookies in a supplemental draft? Like pretend the "big" draft took place first, then the 2011 draft second?

5. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Just one more guy and we're ready to go!

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I still don't see why you couldn't 'demote' a coach? Why SHOULDN'T you be able to have a Tony Dungy as your DC? This is for fun and fantasy so why shouldn't you be able to build your fantasy coaching staff.

With so few teams, we won't be close to any backup player nor should we be close to a below avg starter. You might have only an avg starter, but no one will be bad unless you pick a bad guy. Of course, people will have to take position scarcity into account. But even at those positions, how many guys are we adding with rookies and are we THAT confident the rookies are good enough?

There is an assumption every season. CJ went from being the best RB statistically to not even a top 5 rb based on stats. So isn't your opinion of him based on what you think he'll do for your fantasy team? Is Arian Foster a better back than CJ and AP? Last years stats say yes. But opinion rarely follows stats so precisely. So what's the harm in taking rookies? You have to decide how good Patrick Peterson is. Is he a top 5 CB? Is Prince? Are neither? How good is Mark Ingram vs the stable of rb's in the NFL? Is he a top 10 guy or not? How good is Fairley? It adds a lot more dimension to the decision making both for the 'GM' and the people opining who has the best team. Would also let me see who REALLY thinks Jake Locker is gonna be a star in this league;)

Why don't we vote on these things and see what everyone wants to do...

Gut

7. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Anyone got a friend who wants to join in? We're just one short of an even number!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I do...

I have a friend who will play.

Make him the Fantastic Falcons for now just so you have something to put down.

We'll change it once he joins or tells me a team name. Of course, the problem is I talked to him about this so we've already been talking players:(

Gut

9. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Word, Gut. Is he already on the Board?

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

let me get in this

Team Name: Team Nasty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar