Rumor Draft Rumors Ramping Up

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Lots of rumors happening. I spent just a few minutes on the web this morning and grabbed a couple for discussion here.

Who's #2 … There appears to be a growing sense around the NFL that Tennessee is unlikely to select Oregon QB Marcus Mariota with the second pick overall at the upcoming draft. Instead the thinking appears to be that the Titans will give second-year QB Zach Mettenberger another season to develop and either take a position like Southern California DE Leonard Williams, whom NFL.com rates as the safest pick in this year's draft, or look to trade the pick, possibly to some team that has a greater need for a young QB like Mariota. Indeed, the $64K question at this year's draft could be just where Mariota goes. Washington and the Jets, who pick 5th and 6th picks respectively in this year’s opening round, both had full front-office contingents at Mariota's pro day earlier this month, although there is a sense around the league that Washington may in fact be just feigning interest to induce a team with a later pick like Cleveland to move up ahead of the Jets, although its not clear why Washington would then also need to make any team think they might take Mariota themselves. In fact, all that kind of smoke and mirrors might accomplish is force said team with the later to pick to also plot to move up ahead of Washington! Then, of course, Philadelphia is still out there and may still may be interested in acquiring Mariota even after adding veteran QB Sam Bradford in a trade with St. Louis last week. Stay tuned!

News - Great Blue North Draft Report

UCLA's Brett Hundley is currently projected to go in rounds two or three and he could be a viable option for Tennessee. Hundley is raw but is just as talented as both Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston skill wise. He has all the tools that you look for in a quarterback with great size and arm strength.

While at Baylor, Petty has shown flashes of brilliance but he has lacked the consistency that you would like out of your potential franchise quarterback. HoweverPetty has the arm strength and accuracy to make all the throws. He is projected to go in between rounds three and four, and should be available for the Titans.

Tennessee Titans: Should Tennessee Focus on QB Late In Draft | ChatTitans.com

CB Trae Waynes has a private workout setup with the Titans.

NFL Notes: Draft, Trae Waynes, Shane Ray, Buccaneers, Cardinals, & Giants | NFL Trade Rumors - NFL Rumors

2. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

And so it begins TJ.....Lot of BS going to happen between now and the draft.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Personally I dont believe in any of these 2nd tier QB's, its either Winston or Mariota or bust. I will be really pissed if we burn a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a franchise backup QB.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  4. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

If they fall to say round 4 or 5 and beyond, sure why not....They can't be worse than CBJ...I agree though, they better not burn an early pick and reach. Go big or go home when at #2. BPA or get your guy/trade back. I personally feel that if they don't take Mariota, they will grab BPA then focus on Offense which is a serious need.

5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Wayyy too many other teams that want Mariota for a trade to not happen, but I'm not going to get into all that as we have a trillion threads already on it. As far as QB goes, again, ride with Mett Life and grab a QB in rounds 5 or 6.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

why even do that tho? I give Mettenberger a 50/50 chance at being a solid to good QB this year, if that happens we then have Mett>Whitehurst>rookie scrub QB

that rookie scrub QB wont unseat Whitehurst, you have to remember Whisenhunts system isn't some simple spread formation, its quite complex according to many players. No 4/5round guy is going to get a chance to pick that up and do well, look at Mett for instance..... If Mett fails as a starter in 2015 we then have 3 permanent backups.

I find it completely useless to use any picks on a QB this draft unless they're Winston or Mariota.

HOWEVER, and this matters more than anyone has talked about, are we continuing with Whisenhunts system or switching it out for Mike Mularky's run based offense? I mean it'd be dumb considering he also took a team to 2-14 lol.... But I dont recall anyone but Tommy Smith talking about being a "smash mouth" team... So wtf is really happening? Anyone even know?

BECAUSE if we're going run heavy, Mariota's stock goes up in Tennessee.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Wouldn't Mett have been a 3rd-4th round guy had he been injury-free and had kept his nose clean? I agree it's unlikely but, just for discussion, Whiz likes Mett enough (or doesn't like Mariota enough) to roll with him in '15. Since Petty is going to need a season or two anyway, do you use a mid-round pick on the kid, develop him, and see if he's an NFL QB in the event Mett doesn't cut it. Even if Mett does, and Petty flourishes, then you have a solid backup/trade bait. If he busts, then you only have blown a mid-round pick.

The idea sound feasible except for the many holes the Titans have to fill. He'd have to plunge, IMO, unless Whiz & Co see something really special.

8. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I feel you man. I actually wanted to take what I said back because I mean really; how many QB picked outside the 2nd or 3rd round turn into anything other than career backups and journeymen? Honestly, we have way to many variables for me to make a real decision on what to do. You brought up very valid points concerning Whiz, our philosophy, our personnel, just way too much to think about.

9. JCBRAVE

Last year I went thru all the QB prospects and found only 5 I believed to be NFL QB's.

In no order those names were; Bortles, Bridgewater, Garoppolo, Mettenberger, Carr/Savage as outside looking in

This year I dont see any of the same from the 3rd QB on...

10. JCBRAVE

Anyone claiming they really know whats good with our #2 overall pick is lying, they have no clue, because I have no clue, and most years I have a sense of what we're planning. Outside us taking Lewan at 11, and Wright at 20 I think Ive pretty much been spot on since 2005 when I started really following the NFL as closely as I do today..

As a devoted fan IDK our plan for once, its either stick with Whiz and not even be looking at Mariota, or make a switch to Mularky's style which IMO is as weak as Munchak's 3 systems in 3 years. That cant be the plan, but if by chance it is it makes Mariota suddenly stick out because he wont have the burden of carrying an offense he's not used to. Thats everyone's objection towards Mariota, that he can't run Whiz's offense. But what if he never has to??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar