Rumor Draft Rumors Ramping Up

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

That's not what I see when I watch him play. Sure, there are WR screens...but even Pro-Style offenses use those heavily. If the inside WR makes a good block, those are very hard to defend. Bama used them on Tenessee frequently, to great effect, with Amari Cooper...and they are a pro-style offense.

He throws a wide range of passes, if you sit down and watch a full game of his. And Whisenhunt dispelled a lot of false notions NFL pundits and fans have been saying about Mariota...that he doesn't have to make checks at the line, read defenses, go through progressions, blah.blah.blah. Whisenhunt said he discovered just from his interview, alone, with Mariota, that it was false. He frequently has to read the defense > change protections > get his WR's and RB's re-aligned, then go through his progressions after the snap like any other QB.

There are a lot of false assumptions and disinformation going around about him. Only the Titans know the full scoop, now that they've been able to work him out and go through a lengthy classroom session with him. Whisenhunt said he came away impressed, and at the combine a number of teams raved about his football IQ, saying he reminded them of their interviews with Russell Wilson and how he blew them away with his football knowledge.

He may take some lumps his first year or so, but I really believe he is our version of Andrew Luck/ Russell Wilson, and hope we aren't foolish enough to pass on him.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

For most of the first half of the season, they were the Nation's No.1 defense at stopping offenses on 3rd down. They had a pretty solid defense in 2014. Their achilles heel for much of the season, was a green OL.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Every team entertains trades. Even Tampa would consider a blockbuster trade, but the asking price is usually too steep for most teams to even consider. You don't have ANY way of knowing if they have doubts about Mariota, so let's stop pretending that you do. Whatever they gleaned from their interviews, workout and overall research, they aren't sharing their intentions with you or the rest of the public.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

You mean Mariota. :)

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Why would you not listen to the offers?

You can't be that narrow minded as a GM.

6. Rudad

Rudad Starter

Right now nothing is set in stone. Nothing. People say Bucs will take Winston but that's not a gimme right now. Listen to offers about everything and make best choice possible. It's a month from the draft.

7. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

I pretty much know everything about everything, the sooner you learn that, the easier this goTitans experience becomes.

With that said. My comment was towards the PK quote that @2ToneBlueBlood posted.

Here it is
    my main thing was the fact that a GM has said the Titans have made it clear the pick was for sale. Also another team executive gave it a 50-60% chance the Titans do move out of number 2. This is coming from PK so take it for whatever its worth.

But, If the Titans are soooo sold on how great Mariota is, and if Mariota IS a FRANCHISE QB, you take that pick all day.

How close do you think the Colts were trading out from number 1 the year Andrew Luck was a prospect?? Yea I doubt they entertained much trade talk.

IDC how nice (realistically) the trade offer is, If you have a chance to get a franchise QB, you take him.

Back to my point, the Titans have doubts about Mariota

@The Playmaker this is also a response to your post.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I would think every team who has a pick at the top of the draft is letting everyone know it's available for trade just because you never know when some idiot GM will give away their franchise's draft future for one guy they're in love with.

I personally think the Titans have a better chance of trading #33 which would cost someone their #1 in '16 and much more depending on how far they're coming up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

I would not want to trade that pick if at all possible. We didn't give the 49'ers much when we traded them for Justin Hunter (3rd Rd pick the next year). The reason I say that is because there are ALWAYS some guys that with 1st rd grades that slide into that round. WR's Jalen Strong and Dorial Green Beckham come to mind, and I wouldn't want to pass on either of them if they are sitting there for us. We need WR help as much as any position in this draft, and we don't have a bonafide No.1 WR, so we need to use an early pick at that position, even though it is deep.

It's also very possible that RB Todd Gurley slides to us, there. He will probably go in the 1st, but most NFL pundits expected Carlos Hyde to go in the 1st Rd, last year. He slid almost and entire round from where he was projected, as did all RB's. Gurley may not even be ready to play this year at all, so teams hoping he'll be able to play 9mos after his ACL surgery are smoking some mean stuff. Probably won't be until October-November at the earliest. Don't know that SD or Dallas will want to blow a 1st Rd pick on a guy who cannot help them until last in the season, at best.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  10. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Trading the 1st pick is always a brutal prospect. No one wants to pay what it would cost to get there. Plus, they didn't have any QB on the roster that made anyone think they could possibly be their future QB. Mettenberger has his fans in guys like Kiper, (ESPN Titans beat writer) Kuharsky and some others. Not me, though. I know what I saw, when he was in college and last year. Did not want the Titans to draft him...as a 3rd string backup, no big deal...but those expecting him to be the starter are delusional, IMHO.

And I would expect the Titans to convey an openness to trade, in case they got a blockbuster deal offered to them. But, it seems to me that they have developed an interest in Mariota. Could be a smoke screen, but we won't know until draft day

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar