Drafting a DT vs DE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

i think we should trade back....draft mallet with our mid to late first....then get a solid de with our second(first) pick then another dt/ss with our second(second) pick this would solve our 3 biggest problems....

3-draft a solid OUTSIDE linebacker--given that our coaching staff dont feel that mcgrath and curran will pan out--but if they do then we can use the 3rd pick on either a solid corner to come in and compete and add depth like curtis brown from texas

4-draft terrance toliver to add a deep threat and get rid of nate---to many drops to please anyone besides the other team....toliver is young-fast-pretty good at catching the ball too so he would be the perfect replacement
    --if toliver is not there and we feel that someone is available that can help our o-line then we can draft zach hurd from uconn to beef our our interior line

5- boren-guard from ohio state is a big, physical, smart interior lineman from ohio state who could provide very good depth

6- Anthony Gray-big dt from southern miss to provide depth and bulk up our dt
    here is a nice link about him too
    http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/2009/oct/02/transforming_harold/

7- lee smith tight end from marshall....i didnt know who else to pick here and spell back i think johnson will be back and fill a nice need if not we could pick jamie harper or john clay here to spell cj....but for now i have us taken a te to play 3rd string instead of signing a fa

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If there is a draft to trade back this is it because there are a lot of coveted players in the top 15. It's just not something we have done very often so i assume we won't but trading back 10-12 spots, taking Mallett and having more piicks to address other issues is not a bad ideal.

Problem with DEs is that it is a very top heavy group this year. If you don't get a top guy it really thins out later on.

As for Anthony Gray i think he projects only as a 3-4 NT because of his body type, 5'11 325. Might not get drafted so certainly worth singing as UDFA.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

So the question is, which is better:

Option 1: JJ - Fariley - Brown - Morgan
    Option 2: Bowers - JJ - Brown - Morgan

I choose Option 2.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm glad this thread was brought back to life, the "where is VY" thread may hit 2000 posts soon, but this relevant thread only has 23 hits..... Crazy Titan fans.

5. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

DE is a strength on our team right now. I can't see how we could justify spending the #8 pick on another.

The only problem with taking a DT that highly is the high bust rate. It's just too hard to tell who will and won't develop the technique and work ethic necessary to play the spot in the NFL. It took Fat Albert several seasons to translate his raw talent into productivity; many others never do.

If we took one, I'd rather have a relatively safe "big fatty" like Dareus or Stephen Paea instead of a smaller, penetrating guy like Fairley or Liuget,

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

how so? Although I agree that we shouldn't spend our 8 on one.

Morgan who has about 4 games under his belt, Hayes, and Ford (maybe Ball)

That's not quite a "who's who" of DEs who strike fear in the hearts of QBs.

If they are a strong point on our team, then we have a very weak team.

7. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

You completely forgot Jason Babin and his 13 sacks.

Ball had seven sacks; Morgan had two in four games and shows great physical promise; and Hayes is a good enough fourth guy for the rotation.

We were eighth in sacks last year despite a pretty awful performance from our secondary. Pass-rush isn't a weakness on our team compared to a lot of other areas.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Jason Babin is not/will no longer be a Titan. And Ball may not be.

We have Ford, Hayes, and Morgan at this point.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

DE is always the better pick vs. DT in my eyes. Unless you're talking about a talent like Suh and in this draft nobody is close to Suh. The key to the 4-3 is your DE's being able to rush the passer w/o having to blitz. If Quinn is there and we don't trade down I'd take him perhaps Bowers but I'm much bigger on Quinn. Also, I'm really warming to Aldon Smith, I'd be happy if we snatched him at 8 as well, I think he's going to be a special pass rusher.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

And correct me if i'm wrong.. but I think Ford is a FA also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar