Drew Bennett

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mcmojo, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

The salary cap has changed what many teams will do in free agency. I beleive the Titans should take the following approach.

1. Spend big money on young players that can start for five years. (Samuels / Clemments)
    2. Stay away from overpaying for the Bennett types.
    3. Roll as much money into current year as possible.

These examples would best serve this team moving forward, by having other teams consume their cap dollars on marginal starters early in the new cap era.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Bennett loves Tennesse, and he loves football. He almost would play for free if he can just get on the field. I don't anticipate salary being a problem.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

thinking like that is dangerous and it gets you disappointed. I know.

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I think he might be released or demoted in the offseason...
    especially if we get lucky in landing a solid WR during that time.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think he will be here. I think he's a good football player that would benefit by being surrounded by some better talent. I like Drew. He still has drops. Then again every reciever does. For a slow white boy, he should make it up with his hands.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I like him too and hope he stays..
    But with all the personnel changes, and the releasing of McNair, Reese etc. you can tell that Bud Adams will be putting talent ahead of loyalty.

I fear he might be released if we get solid replacements.

7. He's also going to be 29 when the season starts and knows that he couldn't possibly be in a better situation than this when it comes to getting his last big contract. Weak free agent WRs, big jump in the cap... :greedy:

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with what you are saying and more than likely that is the route we will probally go. Still, this is a team that barely missed the playoffs THIS year and should see even better QB play passing the ball next year. If we lose Bennett AND Givens isn't contributing (both definate possibilities) we will be weaker at WR next year than we were this year. It might be worth slightly over paying Bennett to keep that from happening especially considering we don't know if Givens will ever be worth his contract.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I hear what you're saying, and we have seen it before. But I'm not sure that Bennett has bought into the whole "it's a business" mindset yet. We'll see whether or not his agent (Rosenhaus?) brainwashes him and proves me wrong.

10. I can't argue with with that possibility. But we'd be worse off in the long run if we overpay to keep an average starter like Bennett. It would also make upgrading at WR in the future much harder knowing that he had a contract that made it impossible to cut or bench him...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar