Drew bennett

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by kburke, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelmunroe

joelmunroe Camp Fodder

I'll take it for what it is, the truth. Should Vince get a chance at this point? yes.. will he do anything special with his arm? nope.

2. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

By your logic since none of us play QB in the NFL then we are all idiots with no credibility.

Do you really think because it's the lack of a high IQ is the only reason why Bennett played WR? You've got to be kidding. Heinz Ward anyone? Some no... Most college QB's styles do not transition well into the NFL but are still great athletes that can play in the NFL. You are basically saying that someone is stupid and knows nothing about quarterbacking or leadership because they don't play QB in the NFL. So far Drew has been right. He is still riding the bench on an 0-6 team with a scrub at QB. Yet, he still has no credibility?

Drew played a full season with VY I spent time with him in workouts. The guy obviously isn't that bright. Seriously, a 7 on The Wonderlic Test? It's not like this is new news to a lot of people.

Should have Drew said this about an ex-teammate that he no longer has to face? Well what was he supposed to say, he has nothing to backup the other side of the argument if his team is still 0-6 with a old deteriorating QB and he still isn't starting or throwing when given playing time.

3. Jedimasterbyrd

Jedimasterbyrd Time Traveler/Jewel Thief

I'm not sold on Vince but when he does play I'll wish him the best. At this point I'd play Ryan Leaf if it made us better...

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Didn't Tony Dungy say the opposite to what Bennett is saying?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

So has Dungy, why don't you believe him?

And there is no reason to suspect Dungy has a bias against him. Bennett might.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think people are haters to say Young has all the physical tools but a lack of football smarts, dedication to learn, game experience, lack of leadership and emotional immaturity have been stumbling blocks to his success.

Young has the ability to improve in most of these areas just by effort. Even if his ability to read defenses were limited, he has the POTENTIAL to be a decent NFL QB if he made himself a student of the game. But when he appears unwilling to put in the effort, there is no reason for his coaches or his teammates to feel he gives the team a better chance of winning than Collins despite how bad he's played at times this season.

And Young has no one to blame but himself for it.

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I don't disagree with you about Vince not being the sharpest tool in the shed, BUT...
    S.....T.....F....U about the Wonderlic test scores! :irked: I'm f$^%@#$$#%@#$ tired of hearing that. Dan Marino scored a 9 on his test. Oh, and the other side of the coin...Joey Harrington scored a 35 (he's been uber successful in the NFL hasn't he).
    That said, I'm not defending Vince. I'm just tired of everyone using the Wonderlic score as a stupid arse strawman argument for his sub-par intelligence.

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Very excellent assessment Jeff.
    This makes me ponder, I do agree totally about his lack of maturity, his lack of motivation, unwillingness to participate...do you think it's just because of his hard-wired in personality, or do you think his environment is having a big influence on this?
    I know when I'm not comfortable in an environment, especially one that is forcing me to do stuff I don't want to do, I tend to lose motivation and shut down sometimes. I know it sounds bratty to an extent, but it's just the way some people are. Yet when you give those kinds of people what they ask for, they tend to turn it around and shine and give back more than what you were losing by shackling them....now I'm not talking about 'Veruca Salt' types of people that are just totally bratty and demanding and never giving, just the ones that know they can do better if you give them the reins.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't be wasting my time on the internet but making mucho bucks as a sports psychologist. :yes:

But I'll toss out my opinion, FWIW, and say it is both personality and environment which work hand-in-hand.

Young had a tough childhood without a father. So I'm thinking his main male influences have been coaches who have coddled him because he's been success at all levels of football before the NFL.

I'll also assume the game has been easy for him based on raw talent. He's not had to deal with adversity. He's never had to work on the mental aspects for the game. And when things got rough and required him to be mentally tough and dedicate himself, he wasn't mature enough to handle it. He doesn't have the desire to do what it takes.

"Bratty" = "immaturity" and that may very well be his attitude. If so, then he'll learn the hard way. It will have him "retired" and doing nothing but Longhorn memorabilia shows by 2012.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar